Auto-merging translations and master

John Mandereau
Hello,

Now that I have looked at the scripts for building staging and merging
it into master, upgraded my Fedora installation, a cron job runs this
every two hours on my computer in the lab, and sends an email
notification only if something fails or when a build is done.  How about
adding merging with translation?  I propose that when staging builds
succesfully, it should be merged into master and translation, then a
build of translation is attempted, and if it succeeds translation is
merged into master.

What do you think of this?

The only objection I'm seeing for now is that there are too frequent
issues of files non distributed in tarball; for dealing with this I
propose to use dist-check from GUB, with an option to try using it
without doing a complete GUB build.

Re: Auto-merging translations and master

Francisco Vila
2012/6/5 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Now that I have looked at the scripts for building staging and merging
> it into master, upgraded my Fedora installation, a cron job runs this
> every two hours on my computer in the lab, and sends an email
> notification only if something fails or when a build is done.  How about
> adding merging with translation?  I propose that when staging builds
> succesfully, it should be merged into master and translation, then a
> build of translation is attempted, and if it succeeds translation is
> merged into master.
>
> What do you think of this?

It would be a time-saver for me. But imagine that translations has a
compile stopper and I am not reacheable for 48 hours. Would it mean 24
alert messages?

Il giorno mar, 05/06/2012 alle 11.07 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> It would be a time-saver for me. But imagine that translations has a
> compile stopper and I am not reacheable for 48 hours. Would it mean 24
> alert messages?

It should mean an alert message every time a new commit is pushed into
translation, i.e. if translation doesn't build, a new build of
translation branch won't be attempted until a new commit is pushed to
it; this way it shouldn't overwhelm lilypond-auto with a repeated
identical failure at every change of staging branch.

Il giorno mar, 05/06/2012 alle 10.42 -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys ha scritto:
> it would be best if "make dist" were rewritten to take git's idea of
> the tree, and then add any necessary generated files (eg. configure,
> README) to that.

If we go this route, we should have a fallback for making dist outside
Git, i.e. if "make dist" is run in a Git repo then use git and pack into
the tarball the output of "git ls-files" otherwise use this saved
output.

John