Catalan translation priority II

Walter Garcia-Fontes
I have finished the translation of the priority II files, here are my
patches:

http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip

It builds in my local repository.

A doubt: I have rebased my repository against "master", so these
patches are against master, should I have done everything using the
"translation" branch?

So long,

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes

Re: Catalan translation priority II

Walter Garcia-Fontes
I added one more patch, in the same set:

http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip

* Walter Garcia-Fontes, [hidden email] [26/07/14 13:34]:

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
mailto: [hidden email] - http://puna.upf.edu

Re: Catalan translation priority II

> I have finished the translation of the priority II files, here are my
> patches:
>
> http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip
>
> It builds in my local repository.
>
> A doubt: I have rebased my repository against "master", so these
> patches are against master, should I have done everything using the
> "translation" branch?

Yes, but if we get master merged into translations soon there should
not be much difference. CC'ing to David.

Re: Catalan translation priority II

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* Francisco Vila, [hidden email] [27/07/14 18:00]:

> > I have finished the translation of the priority II files, here are my
> > patches:
> >
> > http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip
> >
> > It builds in my local repository.
> >
> > A doubt: I have rebased my repository against "master", so these
> > patches are against master, should I have done everything using the
> > "translation" branch?
>
> Yes, but if we get master merged into translations soon there should
> not be much difference. CC'ing to David.

Thanks Francisco. Two more doubts:

1) Should I then try to get my patches against translation and submit
them again, or these (against master) are fine?

2) The master branch seems to have some conflicts marked in some files
(for instance in Documenta/ca/web.itexi, with >>>>>>> HEAD and

Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Catalan translation priority II

David Kastrup
Walter Garcia-Fontes <[hidden email]> writes:

> * Francisco Vila, [hidden email] [27/07/14 18:00]:
>> > I have finished the translation of the priority II files, here are my
>> > patches:
>> >
>> > http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip
>> >
>> > It builds in my local repository.
>> >
>> > A doubt: I have rebased my repository against "master", so these
>> > patches are against master, should I have done everything using the
>> > "translation" branch?
>>
>> Yes, but if we get master merged into translations soon there should
>> not be much difference. CC'ing to David.
>
> Thanks Francisco. Two more doubts:
>
> 1) Should I then try to get my patches against translation and submit
> them again, or these (against master) are fine?
>
> 2) The master branch seems to have some conflicts marked in some files
> (for instance in Documenta/ca/web.itexi, with >>>>>>> HEAD and

Not the master in the repository, it hasn't.  You probably got these
conflict markers into your private master branch through some merge of
your own.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Catalan translation priority II

> * Francisco Vila, [hidden email] [27/07/14 18:00]:
>> > I have finished the translation of the priority II files, here are my
>> > patches:
>> >
>> > http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip
>> >
>> > It builds in my local repository.
>> >
>> > A doubt: I have rebased my repository against "master", so these
>> > patches are against master, should I have done everything using the
>> > "translation" branch?
>>
>> Yes, but if we get master merged into translations soon there should
>> not be much difference. CC'ing to David.
>
> Thanks Francisco. Two more doubts:
>
> 1) Should I then try to get my patches against translation and submit
> them again, or these (against master) are fine?

As long as your files have not changed in the meantime in either
branch, patches will apply to both. I have not tested it, though. What
I'm sure about is, a patch does not have the name of a branch in it.
Patches apply to currently checked-out branch.

> 2) The master branch seems to have some conflicts marked in some files
> (for instance in Documenta/ca/web.itexi, with >>>>>>> HEAD and

I think a conflicting merge was not properly finished on your side and
you committed these as valid changes (they aren't).

Re: Catalan translation priority II

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* Francisco Vila, [hidden email] [27/07/14 18:35]:
> I think a conflicting merge was not properly finished on your side and
> you committed these as valid changes (they aren't).

Thanks David and Francisco, so in short, I should prepare these
patches again, as apart from the translations, they are fixing those
conflicts which are not in the actual master branch.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llbregat

Re: Catalan translation priority II

Walter Garcia-Fontes
Still struggling to get my patches for the priority II translation to
Catalan summary. Since my local git repository seemed to have
conflicts which I was struggling to resolve, I did the following:

1) Copied all files from the Catalan translation
2) Created a new clone of the current remote git repository
3) Reintroduced my Catalan translation files, commited them to a local
branch, and rebased my branch against the "translation" branch. No
conflicts were shown.
4) Created the patches with "git format-patch translation"

I found the following problems:
- I got a lot more patches apart from my own, it seems that all
changes in the master branch which were not in the translation branch
corresponded to those extra patches.
- I searched for ">>>>>>> HEAD" just in case, and I found one of these
in Documentation/ca/introduction.itexi .

In any case "make" and "make doc" finished without errors in my local
branch, despite the possible conflict in introduction.itexi.

So I'm still reluctant to submit this patch since I still don't
understand if everything is alright.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Catalan translation priority II

Federico Bruni-2

Try:
git format-patch origin/translation

Il 29/lug/2014 09:14 "Walter Garcia-Fontes" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

* Federico Bruni, [hidden email] [29/07/14 10:40]:
> Try:
> git format-patch origin/translation

With that instruction still all the patches of master not in
translation were created. I think the problem is that the translation
branch should be rebased against the master branch, but in that case
my local branch could be rebased directly against master, right?

In any case, I think now I got a patch where I don't see any problems,
it builds OK in my system and I don't see anything else wrong.

It is again here:

http://puna.upf.edu/catalan_patch.zip

I created a zip to keep the same name but now it is a single file of
only 100kb,

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: Catalan translation priority II

> * Federico Bruni, [hidden email] [29/07/14 10:40]:
>> Try:
>> git format-patch origin/translation
>
> With that instruction still all the patches of master not in
> translation were created.

This means your current branch is master. It should be translation.
format-patch expects a range or a <since> commit, in which case the
upper limit of the range is assumed to be HEAD. What happens when
<since>..HEAD are in two different branches is that the range is taken
to be a huge branchful of commits, those that connect both HEADs.

> I think the problem is that the translation
> branch should be rebased against the master branch, but in that case
> my local branch could be rebased directly against master, right?

For sanity, I think you should forget master and concentrate in
translation for all. Very rarely you'll need master for anything about
translations unless you want to translate something still not there,
which in turn would bring new problems.

Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

>> * Federico Bruni, [hidden email] [29/07/14 10:40]:
>>> Try:
>>> git format-patch origin/translation
>>
>> With that instruction still all the patches of master not in
>> translation were created.
>
> This means your current branch is master. It should be translation.
> format-patch expects a range or a <since> commit, in which case the
> upper limit of the range is assumed to be HEAD. What happens when
> <since>..HEAD are in two different branches is that the range is taken
> to be a huge branchful of commits, those that connect both HEADs.
>
>> I think the problem is that the translation
>> branch should be rebased against the master branch, but in that case
>> my local branch could be rebased directly against master, right?
>
> For sanity, I think you should forget master and concentrate in
> translation for all. Very rarely you'll need master for anything about
> translations unless you want to translate something still not there,
> which in turn would bring new problems.

I've taken the liberty of merging master into translation.  While this
will likely cause some additional work/rebase, at least it should end
the current confusion for now.  I'll merge back translation into staging
to complete the synch.

--
David Kastrup