Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Michael Gerdau
Dear translators,

find attached the complete patchset to Documentation/de/web.
The first patch is identical to the one I sent a couple of days ago.
I simply resend it for the sake of completeness as it was created with
a slightly modified command.

Looking forward to someone testing these on a system not using
texinfo-5.x.

For future postings:
Shall I send one patch per mail or a complete set in one mail ?

Waiting for further instructions as to what I should improve and
of course where/how to continue translating.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

0001-Doc-de-updating-to-current-version.patch (9K) Download Attachment
0002-Doc-de-brought-rest-of-web-up-to-date.patch (97K) Download Attachment

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 21/08/2015 12:45, Michael Gerdau a écrit :
> Dear translators,
>
> find attached the complete patchset to Documentation/de/web.
> The first patch is identical to the one I sent a couple of days ago.
> I simply resend it for the sake of completeness as it was created with
> a slightly modified command.

I've applied them on my box, but with some problems:
beware that what is in the menu must be what follows @sectionning,
including spelling

- in web/introduction, you write @subheading Texteingabe
   but leave Text-Eingabe in the Menu and in cross-references

[jcharles@pc2 de] (translation)$ git grep -n "Text-Eingabe"
web/download.itexi:18:Sie bitte über unsere @ref{Text-Eingabe}.}
web/introduction.itexi:76:@ref{Text-Eingabe}: Ihr schreibt Noten als
@emph{Text}?!
web/introduction.itexi:97:* Text-Eingabe::                 You write
music as text?!
web/introduction.itexi:298:@ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:456:@ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:579:@ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:608:@ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:782:@ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:1113:Lesen Sie über unsere @ref{Text-Eingabe}.
web/introduction.itexi:1118:@node Text-Eingabe
web/manuals.itexi:40:@ref{Text-Eingabe}:
web/manuals.itexi:380:Lesen Sie bitte über unsere @ref{Text-Eingabe}.

- in web/community, you write
   @ref{Danksagungen}: Projekte und Institutionen, die LilyPond
untrestützen  (TYPO HERE)
   and in the menu
   * Autoren::
   * Anerkennung::
   * Veröffentlichungen::

   but label (l 1163)
   @node Danksagungen
   @unnumberedsec Danksagungen

> Looking forward to someone testing these on a system not using
> texinfo-5.x.

Upgrading to texinfo-6.0 greatly improves the managing of "Umlaute".

> For future postings:
> Shall I send one patch per mail or a complete set in one mail ?

It's up to you.

> Waiting for further instructions as to what I should improve and
> of course where/how to continue translating.

Concerning build errors, here was the output just before the crash:

"
…aduc/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init  --output=out-www/web/
out-www/web.texi"  "web.splittexi.log"

Please check the logfile web.bigtexi.log for errors

/home/jcharles/GIT/Traduc/stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make:46:
recipe for target 'out-www/web-big-page.html' failed
make[3]: *** [out-www/web-big-page.html] Error 255
"

I then opened Documentation/de/web.bigtexi.log and found at the end:

"
Processing web site: [de]
** Node following `Autoren' in menu `Anerkennung' and in sectionning
`Danksagungen' differ
** `Danksagungen' doesn't appear in menus
** `Gemeinschaft' is up for `Danksagungen', but has no menu entry for
this node
** No node following `Danksagungen' in menu, but `Veröffentlichungen'
follows in sectionning
*** Undefined node `Anerkennung' in @ref (in ./web/community.itexi l. 39
in @divEnd)
Max error number exceeded
"

I always check those *.bigtexi.log and *.splittexi.log even the build
has been successful. As long as they contain nothing else than warning
about nodes or found in snippets or internals, everything is fine with me.

I'm leaving for one week as of tomorrow morning, and won't have any
computer at disposal.

Tschüß,

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Michael Gerdau
Dear Jean-Charles,

thank you very much for testing the patches and most of all providing
the lengthy explanation which I really appreciate.

I think the attached patch corrects all the errors you mentioned.

> > Looking forward to someone testing these on a system not using
> > texinfo-5.x.
>
> Upgrading to texinfo-6.0 greatly improves the managing of "Umlaute".

Will investigate that.

> > Waiting for further instructions as to what I should improve and
> > of course where/how to continue translating.
>
> Concerning build errors, here was the output just before the crash:
>
> "
> …aduc/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init  --output=out-www/web/
> out-www/web.texi"  "web.splittexi.log"
[snipped]

Unfortunately my system hits issue #1000
https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?can=2&start=0&num=100&q=&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Stars%20Owner%20Patch%20Needs%20Summary&groupby=&sort=&id=1000
and thus doesn't even get that far. So at this point in time I can't
check these logfiles.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

0003-Doc-de-fix-broken-menu-entries-and-a-typo.patch (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

David Kastrup
Michael Gerdau <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Jean-Charles,
>
> thank you very much for testing the patches and most of all providing
> the lengthy explanation which I really appreciate.
>
> I think the attached patch corrects all the errors you mentioned.
>
>> > Looking forward to someone testing these on a system not using
>> > texinfo-5.x.
>>
>> Upgrading to texinfo-6.0 greatly improves the managing of "Umlaute".
>
> Will investigate that.
>
>> > Waiting for further instructions as to what I should improve and
>> > of course where/how to continue translating.
>>
>> Concerning build errors, here was the output just before the crash:
>>
>> "
>> …aduc/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init  --output=out-www/web/
>> out-www/web.texi"  "web.splittexi.log"
> [snipped]
>
> Unfortunately my system hits issue #1000
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?can=2&start=0&num=100&q=&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Stars%20Owner%20Patch%20Needs%20Summary&groupby=&sort=&id=1000
> and thus doesn't even get that far. So at this point in time I can't
> check these logfiles.

Any chance to install the lilyvm development environment or install an
older copy of texi2html on your system?  Even if it's somewhere private,
it may work to run something like

make CPU_COUNT=3 -j3 TEXI2HTML=/home/myself/texi2html-1.x/bin/texi2html doc

for compiling.

--
David Kastrup

Le 21/08/2015 16:11, Michael Gerdau a écrit :
> Dear Jean-Charles,
>
> thank you very much for testing the patches and most of all providing
> the lengthy explanation which I really appreciate.
>
> I think the attached patch corrects all the errors you mentioned.

Pushed on translation branch as
8c59e9496cf80f99423dca2f6875db2a8c21f16c

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Michael Gerdau
> Any chance to install the lilyvm development environment or install an
> older copy of texi2html on your system?  Even if it's somewhere private,
> it may work to run something like
>
> make CPU_COUNT=3 -j3 TEXI2HTML=/home/myself/texi2html-1.x/bin/texi2html
> doc
>
> for compiling.

I had hoped to get away w/o doing that...I used to have 4-5 different
VMs for different purposes and was very happy that since I moved to
ArchLinux I had no need for them anymore.

I will reconsider that position.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

David Kastrup
Michael Gerdau <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Any chance to install the lilyvm development environment or install an
>> older copy of texi2html on your system?  Even if it's somewhere private,
>> it may work to run something like
>>
>> make CPU_COUNT=3 -j3 TEXI2HTML=/home/myself/texi2html-1.x/bin/texi2html
>> doc
>>
>> for compiling.
>
> I had hoped to get away w/o doing that...I used to have 4-5 different
> VMs for different purposes and was very happy that since I moved to
> ArchLinux I had no need for them anymore.
>
> I will reconsider that position.

I'd rather try an old-version executable specified by environment
variable than a full VM: the full VM may need less maintenance but when
I worked with VMs I considered the resulting performance hit a nuisance.
And make no mistake, LilyPond's make doc takes a whole lot of time.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Michael Gerdau
> > I had hoped to get away w/o doing that...I used to have 4-5 different
> > VMs for different purposes and was very happy that since I moved to
> > ArchLinux I had no need for them anymore.
> >
> > I will reconsider that position.
>
> I'd rather try an old-version executable specified by environment
> variable than a full VM: the full VM may need less maintenance but when
> I worked with VMs I considered the resulting performance hit a nuisance.
> And make no mistake, LilyPond's make doc takes a whole lot of time.

Well...I had given it a try just now, installed it and all went well.
Inside the VM I got me a shell and then issued

 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get upgrade

because I always do that. In retrospect I'm not sure that was a good idea
because then I cd'd into the lilypond-git directory and did
 git pull
[lilypond updated itself nicely]
 mkdir build && cd build
 ../autogen.sh

....and that failed during configure, complaining about missing
TeX Gyre font OTF suggesting I issue
 sudo apt-get install fonts-texgyre

which I did. The result was this package is nowhere to be found.

Manually invoking configure gave the same result.

Seems I will be looking for an older version of texi2html and
build and install it for lilypond translation purposes only.

Which version is/are known to work ?

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

Michael Gerdau
> I'd rather try an old-version executable specified by environment
> variable than a full VM: the full VM may need less maintenance but when
> I worked with VMs I considered the resulting performance hit a nuisance.
> And make no mistake, LilyPond's make doc takes a whole lot of time.

I now have created a texi2html-1.82 package for my system and
replaced texi2html-5.0 by it since it also turned out that the only
resaon I had texi2html installed in the first place was because the
lilypond configure depends on it.

My first impression is, that going back to texi2html-1.82 fixes the
obvious problems with
make -j9 doc

While dealing with this and related problems:
AFAICT texi2html is a dead package and been superceeded by texi2any
which is part of the regular texinfo package.

Will this (eventually) be reflected in the regular lilypond build
process ?

What would have to be done to achieve that ?
Fix issue #1000 ?

[and is this list the proper place to ask such questions? ]

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

David Kastrup
Michael Gerdau <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I'd rather try an old-version executable specified by environment
>> variable than a full VM: the full VM may need less maintenance but when
>> I worked with VMs I considered the resulting performance hit a nuisance.
>> And make no mistake, LilyPond's make doc takes a whole lot of time.
>
> I now have created a texi2html-1.82 package for my system and
> replaced texi2html-5.0 by it since it also turned out that the only
> resaon I had texi2html installed in the first place was because the
> lilypond configure depends on it.
>
> My first impression is, that going back to texi2html-1.82 fixes the
> obvious problems with
> make -j9 doc
>

> While dealing with this and related problems:
> AFAICT texi2html is a dead package and been superceeded by texi2any
> which is part of the regular texinfo package.
>
> Will this (eventually) be reflected in the regular lilypond build
> process ?
>
> What would have to be done to achieve that ?
> Fix issue #1000 ?

Yup, but that's being actively worked on as far as I understand.

> [and is this list the proper place to ask such questions? ]

The doc build as such is on-topic on [hidden email] of course.
But also, of course, the people on the translator list very much depend
on the doc build system.

So if your doc problems are not specific to the translations, you might
reach a larger audience on the developer list.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Complete patchset for Documentation/de/web

....and that failed during configure, complaining about missing
TeX Gyre font OTF suggesting I issue
 sudo apt-get install fonts-texgyre

which I did. The result was this package is nowhere to be found.

that's the name of the package in current stable debian (jessie):
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/fonts-texgyre

lilydev3 is based on wheezy..
I'm about to make a new lilydev based on jessie in the next days.