Completing Catalan Priority 2

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Hi Walter,

I've just pushed your work on the usage manual.

As I noticed I could not access LM in Catalan, I checked what was
happening, and discovered you had forgotten to translate the master file
"learning.tely" (you'll find it enclosed). Therefore you haven't been
able to see that the learning manual did not build correctly:

1- Presence of a "specific" character not taken into account by texinfo:

[jcharles@pc2 ca] (translation)$ git grep -n 'particel'
learning/fundamental.itely:2246:* Partitures y particel⋅les::
learning/fundamental.itely:2308:tinguéssim dues @code{\score}s,
acabaríem amb dues particel·les
learning/fundamental.itely:3207:@node Partitures i particel⋅les
learning/fundamental.itely:3208:@subsection Partitures i particel⋅les
learning/fundamental.itely:3212:Un cop en les particel·les per a tots
els músics, i una altra per
learning/fundamental.itely:3216:s'usa després per generar tant la
particel·la com la partitura del
learning/fundamental.itely:3231:Després es fa una particella escrivint
en un fitxer el següent:
learning/fundamental.itely:3280:Quan s'imprimeix la particella s'han de
comprimir els silencis
web/introduction.itexi:281:veu, i una particella de violí.
web/introduction.itexi:551:la partitura general i particelles d'un
arranjament del
web/introduction.itexi:1071:partitura i les particells es poden fer a
partir d'un sol fitxer
web/introduction.itexi:1073:les particelles com a la partitura general.
  Per poder incloure la
web/introduction.itexi:1347:particelles, i que inclou un mode per
barrejar diferents obres
web/introduction.itexi:1348:musicals a una sola partitura o particella.

According to diccionari.cat:
particel·la
[de l'it. particella, íd., i aquest, del ll. vg. *particella alteració
del ll. cl. particŭla, dimin. de pars, partis 'part2']

f MÚS Part d'una partitura que correspon a una sola veu o instrument
d'una obra musical.

I changed every occurrence of  "l·l" by "ll" and it got forward…

2- Many incoherences between what is in @menu and @node
  The enclosed patch corrects them, reproducing what is after @node into
the corresponding menu.

3- Lots of erroneous cross-references which break the build. Please read
"Translating the Web site and other Texinfo documentation" in the
Contributors guide.

For the moment, I've just used an artifact (@rMANUALnamed{en,ca}
variant) but there still are as many warnings in the logs as targets in
the Notation reference.

In order to save a list of nodes I've translated, I do

grep -B1 @translationof Documentation/fr/*.* Documentation/fr/*/*.* >
../nodes

This is very useful since you wont have to open any other file to get
the right "address".

correcting-ca-links.patch (12K) Download Attachment
learning.tely (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Completing Catalan Priority 2

David Kastrup
Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've just pushed your work on the usage manual.
>
> As I noticed I could not access LM in Catalan, I checked what was
> happening, and discovered you had forgotten to translate the master
> file "learning.tely" (you'll find it enclosed). Therefore you haven't
> been able to see that the learning manual did not build correctly:
>
> 1- Presence of a "specific" character not taken into account by texinfo:
>
> [jcharles@pc2 ca] (translation)$ git grep -n 'particel'
> learning/fundamental.itely:2246:* Partitures y particel⋅les::
> learning/fundamental.itely:2308:tinguéssim dues @code{\score}s,
> acabaríem amb dues particel·les
> learning/fundamental.itely:3207:@node Partitures i particel⋅les
> learning/fundamental.itely:3208:@subsection Partitures i particel⋅les
> learning/fundamental.itely:3212:Un cop en les particel·les per a tots
> els músics, i una altra per
> learning/fundamental.itely:3216:s'usa després per generar tant la
> particel·la com la partitura del
> learning/fundamental.itely:3231:Després es fa una particella escrivint
> en un fitxer el següent:
> learning/fundamental.itely:3280:Quan s'imprimeix la particella s'han
> de comprimir els silencis
> web/introduction.itexi:281:veu, i una particella de violí.
> web/introduction.itexi:551:la partitura general i particelles d'un
> arranjament del
> web/introduction.itexi:1071:partitura i les particells es poden fer a
> partir d'un sol fitxer
> web/introduction.itexi:1073:les particelles com a la partitura
> general. Per poder incloure la
> web/introduction.itexi:1347:particelles, i que inclou un mode per
> barrejar diferents obres
> web/introduction.itexi:1348:musicals a una sola partitura o particella.
>
> According to diccionari.cat:
> particel·la
> [de l'it. particella, íd., i aquest, del ll. vg. *particella alteració
> del ll. cl. particŭla, dimin. de pars, partis 'part2']
>
> f MÚS Part d'una partitura que correspon a una sola veu o instrument
> d'una obra musical.
>
> I changed every occurrence of  "l·l" by "ll" and it got forward…

I don't know about Catalan, but in the somewhat related Occitan the
central dot is indeed a proper character and not just a hyphenation
indication in dictionaries.

So the proper solution would likely be defining that dot.  One would
probably have to see how texinfo.tex deals with other non-ASCII
characters in order to create a useful definition here.

But that's definitely part of making Texinfo support Catalan unless I am
mistaken about · being a proper character part in Catalan.

--
David Kastrup

Le 18/01/2015 18:46, David Kastrup a écrit :

> Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> […]
>>
>> 1- Presence of a "specific" character not taken into account by texinfo:
>>
>> [jcharles@pc2 ca] (translation)$ git grep -n 'particel'
>> learning/fundamental.itely:2246:* Partitures y particel⋅les::
>>
>> […]
>>

>> I changed every occurrence of  "l·l" by "ll" and it got forward…
>
> I don't know about Catalan, but in the somewhat related Occitan the
> central dot is indeed a proper character and not just a hyphenation
> indication in dictionaries.
>
> So the proper solution would likely be defining that dot.  One would
> probably have to see how texinfo.tex deals with other non-ASCII
> characters in order to create a useful definition here.
>
> But that's definitely part of making Texinfo support Catalan unless I am
> mistaken about · being a proper character part in Catalan.

After a couple of make doc and make doc clean, it appears that the problem

***
(./learning.aux
./learning.aux:262: Missing @endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                    @message
@safexrefname ->Partitures i particel@message
                                               {l.4151: Unicode char 8:⋅
no...

@xrdef ...pandafter @gdef @csname XR@safexrefname
                                                   @endcsname
{#2}@expandafte...
l.262 ...fo}les-title}{Partitures i particel·les}

?
./learning.aux:262: Emergency stop.
<to be read again>
                    @message
@safexrefname ->Partitures i particel@message
                                               {l.4151: Unicode char 8:⋅
no...

@xrdef ...pandafter @gdef @csname XR@safexrefname
                                                   @endcsname
{#2}@expandafte...
l.262 ...fo}les-title}{Partitures i particel·les}

./learning.aux:262:  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on learning.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting.
***

seems to only appear when this "dot" is in the @node and in @menu
so to say

@menu

* Partitures i particelles::

@end menu

@node Partitures i particelles
@subsection Partitures i particel·les

don't break the build.

Re: Completing Catalan Priority 2

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* David Kastrup, [hidden email] [18/01/15 18:46]:

> Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I've just pushed your work on the usage manual.
> >
> > As I noticed I could not access LM in Catalan, I checked what was
> > happening, and discovered you had forgotten to translate the master
> > file "learning.tely" (you'll find it enclosed). Therefore you haven't
> > been able to see that the learning manual did not build correctly:
> >
> > 1- Presence of a "specific" character not taken into account by texinfo:
> >
> > [jcharles@pc2 ca] (translation)$ git grep -n 'particel'
> > learning/fundamental.itely:2246:* Partitures y particel⋅les::
> > learning/fundamental.itely:2308:tinguéssim dues @code{\score}s,
> > acabaríem amb dues particel·les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3207:@node Partitures i particel⋅les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3208:@subsection Partitures i particel⋅les
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3212:Un cop en les particel·les per a tots
> > els músics, i una altra per
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3216:s'usa després per generar tant la
> > particel·la com la partitura del
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3231:Després es fa una particella escrivint
> > en un fitxer el següent:
> > learning/fundamental.itely:3280:Quan s'imprimeix la particella s'han
> > de comprimir els silencis
> > web/introduction.itexi:281:veu, i una particella de violí.
> > web/introduction.itexi:551:la partitura general i particelles d'un
> > arranjament del
> > web/introduction.itexi:1071:partitura i les particells es poden fer a
> > partir d'un sol fitxer
> > web/introduction.itexi:1073:les particelles com a la partitura
> > general. Per poder incloure la
> > web/introduction.itexi:1347:particelles, i que inclou un mode per
> > barrejar diferents obres
> > web/introduction.itexi:1348:musicals a una sola partitura o particella.
> >
> > According to diccionari.cat:
> > particel·la
> > [de l'it. particella, íd., i aquest, del ll. vg. *particella alteració
> > del ll. cl. particŭla, dimin. de pars, partis 'part2']
> >
> > f MÚS Part d'una partitura que correspon a una sola veu o instrument
> > d'una obra musical.
> >
> > I changed every occurrence of  "l·l" by "ll" and it got forward…
>
> I don't know about Catalan, but in the somewhat related Occitan the
> central dot is indeed a proper character and not just a hyphenation
> indication in dictionaries.
>
> So the proper solution would likely be defining that dot.  One would
> probably have to see how texinfo.tex deals with other non-ASCII
> characters in order to create a useful definition here.
>
> But that's definitely part of making Texinfo support Catalan unless I am
> mistaken about · being a proper character part in Catalan.

Yes, I confirm, l·l is a letter, it can be also written using digital
Open Type fonts as ŀ and Ŀ so that the dot is properly close to the
first "l" or "L", to get ŀl and ĿL. Phonetically it is different from a
normal "l" and is pronounced as a long l.

I started looking at Catalan support in Texinfo, but as I imagine it
will take a while until LilyPond gets it from upstream, I will use the
workaround suggested by Jean-Charles to progress with these
translations.

--
Walter  Garcia-Fontes

Re: Completing Catalan Priority 2

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* Jean-Charles Malahieude, [hidden email] [18/01/15 18:27]:
> Hi Walter,
>
> I've just pushed your work on the usage manual.

[... a lot of good advise deleted...]

Thanks a lot, I learned a lot from your message,

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes

Re: Completing Catalan Priority 2

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* Walter Garcia-Fontes, [hidden email] [19/01/15 07:39]:
> I started looking at Catalan support in Texinfo, but as I imagine it
> will take a while until LilyPond gets it from upstream, I will use the
> workaround suggested by Jean-Charles to progress with these
> translations.

Another temporary solution would be to write the l·l letter (l
ageminada, in Catalan), as l.l, this is the way it was written here
when there was no specific key for it in the typewriters, for
instance. This way it will be easy to find and substitute as soon as
texinfo is updated doesn't choke on it.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes

Re: Completing Catalan Priority 2

Francisco Vila
Yes I vote for temporarily write l.l in @node strings when needed and
seek for a fix in texinfo in the meantime.

Thanks y'all for your work, I'm sorry I have no time for more than I
am currently spending.
--
Paco