Documentation for non-english only

Francisco Vila
Hello.  An issue has flashed my mind while correcting a pupil's
exercise.  I can teach them the correct syntax, coding style and so
on, and in addition I can instruct them on how to read the docs, which
are translated and should contain most of the answers to their
questions.

However, sooner or later the student has to face the lilypond syntax
error messages, which are in English and only in English. You get the
point.

So we need a section in the tutorial, only for non-english-speaking
people, that should explain why after { d- g } lilypond complains with
"unexpected NOTENAME_PITCH" [and what does it mean], whilst after { d-
<c e g> } we get "unexpected <" [and what does that mean].

The variety of cases is wide, and I think one can not assume that our
translation effort is complete if an Spanish boy (eg.) is not able to
progress in his mastering of lilypond without the help of a living
teacher besides him, because there will be always so many strings in
English.

Oh, I know, computer languages are made of English keywords and so on,
but I firmly think we can ease the process very much by isolating the
English language to ever shrinking parts of the learning process. What
do you think?

Re: Documentation for non-english only

Till Paala
Am 31.05.10 23:15, schrieb Francisco Vila:

> So we need a section in the tutorial, only for non-english-speaking
> people, that should explain why after { d- g } lilypond complains with
> "unexpected NOTENAME_PITCH" [and what does it mean], whilst after { d-
> <c e g>  } we get "unexpected<" [and what does that mean].

Hi Francisco,
fun to hear you are still teaching LilyPond. I agree with you that such
a section would probably really help some people who don't understand
English at all. On the other hand those error messages are also
cryptical if you understand them -- as you pointed out. So it might even
be of use to everybody. Still in the last place LilyPond should be able
to issue error messages that would be comprehensible and translated, as
a lot of them are. I guess you know better than I why some are
translated and others not.

Personally still recovering from long absence and overwhelmed by the
mass of changes in the docs ;-)
Till

2010/5/31 Till Paala <[hidden email]>:
> I guess you know better than I why some are translated and others not.

Well, we have lexical errors, syntax errors and scheme errors. If I'm
not wrong, they are not translated because are generated by flex,
bison and guile, respectively, which we incorporate into our source
code but do not translate.