Documentation/xx.po

Recently I realized that some parts of the website are generated by some
scripts: for example, translations status pages pick the field
translation from .po files (translated, translators, translation
checkers,...).  Right?

So I started translating Documentation/it.po
Some questions:

1) I guess Documentation/it.po is "synced" with lilypond-doc.pot, so I
can just start translating it without checking anything. Right?

2) Can I translate it step by step instead of all at once? As there are
a lot of strings that refer to manuals, I'd like to translate only the
strings of manual already translated in my language and leave the rest
untranslated.
Well, probably I 'must' do this way...

3) I can see there are a lot of strings wich refer to nodes and
subheadings. Some of them are not up-to-date (some nodes have a
different name now). I wonder if I have to translate them.
The same with variables (for examples: TimeKey has become timeKey
recently).
So I wonder how should I work on this file...

I can figure it out myself, as I have no clue about how .po files are
used by scripts.

Thanks for your help,

Re: Documentation/xx.po

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 08/12/2010 16:48, Federico Bruni disait :
> Hi,
>
> Recently I realized that some parts of the website are generated by some
> scripts: for example, translations status pages pick the field
> translation from .po files (translated, translators, translation
> checkers,...).  Right?

Right.

> So I started translating Documentation/it.po
> Some questions:
>
> 1) I guess Documentation/it.po is "synced" with lilypond-doc.pot, so I
> can just start translating it without checking anything. Right?

I made an update two days ago (commit 71092743... "Docs: update lilypond
doc po" so you are right again.

> 2) Can I translate it step by step instead of all at once? As there are
> a lot of strings that refer to manuals, I'd like to translate only the
> strings of manual already translated in my language and leave the rest
> untranslated.
> Well, probably I 'must' do this way...

I consider it the right way. There are plenty of strings that are still
not translated in French, mostly from parts that have not been delivered.

> 3) I can see there are a lot of strings which refer to nodes and
> subheadings. Some of them are not up-to-date (some nodes have a
> different name now). I wonder if I have to translate them.
> The same with variables (for examples: TimeKey has become timeKey
> recently).
> So I wonder how should I work on this file...

I would say that since nodes and headings are now directly translated in
the files, let them untranslated.

> I can figure it out myself, as I have no clue about how .po files are
> used by scripts.

The Master for this "mayonaise" is John !

Re: Documentation/xx.po

Francisco Vila
I myself would also like to be more aware of all the mechanism that
involves po files.  I can tell that now they are used for fewer tasks
than before, at least because node names are now translated in every
file.  In addition,

>> So I started translating Documentation/it.po
>> Some questions:
>>
>> 1) I guess Documentation/it.po is "synced" with lilypond-doc.pot, so I
>> can just start translating it without checking anything. Right?
>>

> I made an update two days ago (commit 71092743... "Docs: update lilypond doc
> po" so you are right again.

Thanks! Until end 2009, John used to do this.  Last times it were
updated were Apr 2010, by Jan.

>> 2) Can I translate it step by step instead of all at once? As there are
>> a lot of strings that refer to manuals, I'd like to translate only the
>> strings of manual already translated in my language and leave the rest
>> untranslated.
>> Well, probably I 'must' do this way...
>>

> I consider it the right way. There are plenty of strings that are still not
> translated in French, mostly from parts that have not been delivered.

You can test the effects of translate or not to translate certain
strings by looking at the resulting compiled docs.  I am not sure at
all.

Re: Documentation/xx.po

Il giorno mer, 08/12/2010 alle 22.02 +0100, Jean-Charles Malahieude ha
scritto:

> Le 08/12/2010 16:48, Federico Bruni disait :
> > 3) I can see there are a lot of strings which refer to nodes and
> > subheadings. Some of them are not up-to-date (some nodes have a
> > different name now). I wonder if I have to translate them.
> > The same with variables (for examples: TimeKey has become timeKey
> > recently).
> > So I wonder how should I work on this file...
> >

> I would say that since nodes and headings are now directly translated in
> the files, let them untranslated.

Too bad, I wasted half an hour copying and pasting.
I should have waited your replies...

Anyway, I think CG should be updated, don't you think?
Just some basic information to save new translators' time (this .po file
is in priority 1).

I'm going to send a patch which fixes some issues in italian
translations, but I'll keep the it.po file out of it.
I'll work on it from scratch (after all, I was just at 5% and most of
the translated strings are useless) and translate only the relevant
strings (very few so far).

Maybe I'll have some further questions..

Re: Documentation/xx.po

Francisco Vila
2010/12/9 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:

> Anyway, I think CG should be updated, don't you think?
> Just some basic information to save new translators' time (this .po file
> is in priority 1).

I think CG should stay in English; I have not translated anything of
it.  It moves too quickly and a developer has to work with other
developers on -devel list in English anyway.

> I'm going to send a patch which fixes some issues in italian
> translations, but I'll keep the it.po file out of it.
> I'll work on it from scratch (after all, I was just at 5% and most of
> the translated strings are useless) and translate only the relevant
> strings (very few so far).

IMHO something that  is more urgent than the Doc po file, is the
program po file. It has been a call for update today on Free
Tranlsation Project.

Re: Documentation/xx.po

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno gio, 09/12/2010 alle 00.28 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:

> 2010/12/9 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Anyway, I think CG should be updated, don't you think?
> > Just some basic information to save new translators' time (this .po file
> > is in priority 1).
>
> I think CG should stay in English; I have not translated anything of
> it.  It moves too quickly and a developer has to work with other
> developers on -devel list in English anyway.

I didn't mean to say that CG should be translated.
I think we should add some basic tip about .po files. For example:

1) you should start translating only the strings related to manuals you
have translated (that is, website for patch 1 -- priority 1) and then
update your .po file when you translate new manuals

2) don't translate strings related to @node or any kind of @heading
(@subheading, @subsubheading), because translation of these strings are
now handled inside each file.
What else? (I have not a clear understanding of this matter)

3) program .po file is more urgent. The translation of this file is
coordinated by the Free Translation Project...

> > I'm going to send a patch which fixes some issues in italian
> > translations, but I'll keep the it.po file out of it.
> > I'll work on it from scratch (after all, I was just at 5% and most of
> > the translated strings are useless) and translate only the relevant
> > strings (very few so far).
>
> IMHO something that  is more urgent than the Doc po file, is the
> program po file. It has been a call for update today on Free
> Tranlsation Project.

I almost forgot it!
Ok, that's my next job...

'Night,