Helping translators do their work

Francisco Vila
Hello, I have a small suggestion.

When a translator faces this commit and tries to update her
translations accordingly,

  e600412e50db9e8ee3b9e408527322b84b946f52 Doc build: make
screenshot-tutorials shared.

one tends to think that only blocks of text were moved or files
renamed. It is impossible, (and check scripts do not help on that) to
guess that in the meantime some random lines were touched.  I'd beg
for you to separate moving/renaming from editing into separate
commits. Updating becomes a nightmare otherwise. Thank you!

Re: Helping translators do their work

Francisco Vila
2010/2/13 Graham Percival <[hidden email]>:

> But until/unless that happens,
> we'll maintain the status quo.

I understand it.  But to put it simple: I'm not smart enough to guess
what did happen in such a complex commit, and that leads to nearly
undoable translation updates.  Others may be smarter than me, so it is
maybe easier for them.  Not everybody has time enough to solve hard
puzzles like this.

I am just asking for small things that would lead to big improvements:
this is all efficiency.

Re: Helping translators do their work

John Mandereau
Hi guys,
Il giorno mar, 16/02/2010 alle 19.07 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> I understand it.  But to put it simple: I'm not smart enough to guess
> what did happen in such a complex commit, and that leads to nearly
> undoable translation updates.  Others may be smarter than me, so it is
> maybe easier for them.  Not everybody has time enough to solve hard
> puzzles like this.
>
> I am just asking for small things that would lead to big improvements:
> this is all efficiency.

OTOH we'd like to require that commits don't break docs build, which is
incompatible with what you're asking.  A compromise might be more
detailed commit messages that explain what has been done, and possibly a
few hints on *how* it's been done.

I used to like the idea motivated by efficiency that such changes are
done once in all languages, but given my time available for
participating and the available volunteer time for this, this idea must
be abandoned for now.

Best,

2010/2/16 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:
> OTOH we'd like to require that commits don't break docs build, which is
> incompatible with what you're asking.

OK. My apologies for having pushed some changes in the past which led
to broken docs; in this case, I was confident in that moving blocks in
originals should be updated by moving blocks in translations.  My
wrong, too confident from my side, because the moving blocks hid
"random" (i.e. hardly detectable) edits without which the translation
cannot  be built.

> I used to like the idea motivated by efficiency that such changes are
> done once in all languages, but given my time available for
> participating and the available volunteer time for this, this idea must
> be abandoned for now.

So, let's keep the status quo and make translators support all the
weight of solving the puzzles. :-(

No problem (for me).