Merging translations with master

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Merging translations with master

David Kastrup

Hi, I would want to merge translations with master now so that the
latest translations are integrated into master.  What does that mean for
translators?

If you still want to do polish-up work on 2.20 (after all, it is fairly
certain that some fixup releases like 2.20.1 will happen eventually),
then those need to _no_ longer be done on the translations branch but
either directly on stable/2.20 or, if you want a bit of a safety buffer,
on a branch we create for that purpose.

Looking through our current branches, I see

commit 66f9cbcfe348419cf09597f0f00c748e8849a6b9 (origin/translation-staging)
Merge: 55cabbf805 5cd599b0e7
Author: John Mandereau <[hidden email]>
Date:   Tue Oct 2 10:15:22 2012 +0200

    Merge branch 'translation' into stable/2.16

commit 5cd599b0e77c21dbad132fc948692bbbe4c7ddeb
Merge: 41839ed739 16bf0d2978
Author: Till Paala <[hidden email]>
Date:   Mon Oct 1 00:26:40 2012 +0300

    Merge branch 'translation' of ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond into translation

commit 41839ed7390861d2a3f3fa31c5fc93a28599d99e
Author: Till Paala <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sun Sep 30 23:55:39 2012 +0300

    Doc-de: update to notation manual 5

And seeing that this branch's last action was merging into stable/2.16,
it would appear that its purpose may have been for the sake of merging
into stable branches in the prerelease, something which we haven't done
this time round.

We could use this branch generally for merging into stable branches pre-
and postrelease (implying that once we are branching off stable/2.22, we
will stop adding translation material to stable/2.20).

I could set it up for continued use with stable/2.20 and then merge
translations over to master.

How does that sound to people?

--
David Kastrup


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merging translations with master

Francisco Vila
El 2/3/20 a las 14:54, David Kastrup escribió:
>
> Hi, I would want to merge translations with master now so that the
> latest translations are integrated into master.  What does that mean for
> translators?

Translation is usually merged onto staging. Whether it is master or
staging who receives the merge, is not relevant for our work.

Master should also be merged onto translations regularly.

> If you still want to do polish-up work on 2.20 (after all, it is fairly
> certain that some fixup releases like 2.20.1 will happen eventually),
> then those need to _no_ longer be done on the translations branch but
> either directly on stable/2.20 or, if you want a bit of a safety buffer,
> on a branch we create for that purpose.

Yes, I'd vote for that


> Looking through our current branches, I see
>
> commit 66f9cbcfe348419cf09597f0f00c748e8849a6b9 (origin/translation-staging)
> Merge: 55cabbf805 5cd599b0e7
> Author: John Mandereau <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Tue Oct 2 10:15:22 2012 +0200
>
>      Merge branch 'translation' into stable/2.16
>
> commit 5cd599b0e77c21dbad132fc948692bbbe4c7ddeb
> Merge: 41839ed739 16bf0d2978
> Author: Till Paala <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Mon Oct 1 00:26:40 2012 +0300
>
>      Merge branch 'translation' of ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond into translation
>
> commit 41839ed7390861d2a3f3fa31c5fc93a28599d99e
> Author: Till Paala <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Sun Sep 30 23:55:39 2012 +0300
>
>      Doc-de: update to notation manual 5
>
> And seeing that this branch's last action was merging into stable/2.16,
> it would appear that its purpose may have been for the sake of merging
> into stable branches in the prerelease, something which we haven't done
> this time round.
>
> We could use this branch generally for merging into stable branches pre-
> and postrelease (implying that once we are branching off stable/2.22, we
> will stop adding translation material to stable/2.20).
>
> I could set it up for continued use with stable/2.20 and then merge
> translations over to master.

To staging, you mean?

> How does that sound to people?

SGTM


--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merging translations with master

David Kastrup
Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

> El 2/3/20 a las 14:54, David Kastrup escribió:
>> Hi, I would want to merge translations with master now so that the
>> latest translations are integrated into master.  What does that mean for
>> translators?
>
> Translation is usually merged onto staging. Whether it is master or
> staging who receives the merge, is not relevant for our work.
>
> Master should also be merged onto translations regularly.
>
>> If you still want to do polish-up work on 2.20 (after all, it is fairly
>> certain that some fixup releases like 2.20.1 will happen eventually),
>> then those need to _no_ longer be done on the translations branch but
>> either directly on stable/2.20 or, if you want a bit of a safety buffer,
>> on a branch we create for that purpose.
>
> Yes, I'd vote for that

I am currently checking whether my master/translation merge compiles.
That would, of course, be the best thing.  If it does, I'll push to
translation.

I might have not always got the merge choices right (though most of the
time where I was in doubt, I cross-checked with the English version).
And I haven't reset the "Changes" translations: that remains the job of
the translators.

Just fresh from the presses: not even make test comes through: I get a
Python error.

On it!

I'll reset translation-staging soonish for stable/2.20 work: the proper
translation branch does not need its own staging since it is merged into
the regular staging occasionally.

--
David Kastrup


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merging translations with master

Francisco Vila
El 2/3/20 a las 19:48, David Kastrup escribió:
> I'll reset translation-staging soonish for stable/2.20 work: the proper
> translation branch does not need its own staging since it is merged into
> the regular staging occasionally.

I have pushed a translated version of es/changes.tely to stable/2.20
directly for once. I hadn't read this carefully before. Sorry

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merging translations with master

David Kastrup
Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

> El 2/3/20 a las 19:48, David Kastrup escribió:
>> I'll reset translation-staging soonish for stable/2.20 work: the proper
>> translation branch does not need its own staging since it is merged into
>> the regular staging occasionally.
>
> I have pushed a translated version of es/changes.tely to stable/2.20
> directly for once. I hadn't read this carefully before. Sorry

I'll update the translation-staging branch so that it is not behind
stable/2.20 .  And I'll check that stable/2.20 still compiles.

All the best

David

--
David Kastrup