Moving translation branch to 2.17

David Kastrup

Hi,

is there any objection of moving the translation branch over to 2.17?  I
think it is about time: syntax and documentation of 2.17 have by now
diverged from stable to a degree where significant parts can't be moved
between 2.16 and 2.17, and the translations should focus on getting this
new work out to non-English speakers as well.

I also noticed that in the statistics of commits, translations have
dropped precariously (previously Francisco being more or less tieing
with me regarding numbers of commits, mostly due to translation merges).
So it appears that further staying with 2.16 would block a significant
part of work on LilyPond.

So, everybody fine with moving on?

--
David Kastrup

Re: Moving translation branch to 2.17

Francisco Vila
2012/11/29 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> is there any objection of moving the translation branch over to 2.17?  I
> think it is about time: syntax and documentation of 2.17 have by now
> diverged from stable to a degree where significant parts can't be moved
> between 2.16 and 2.17, and the translations should focus on getting this
> new work out to non-English speakers as well.
>
> I also noticed that in the statistics of commits, translations have
> dropped precariously (previously Francisco being more or less tieing
> with me regarding numbers of commits, mostly due to translation merges).
> So it appears that further staying with 2.16 would block a significant
> part of work on LilyPond.

Definitely. I speak for myself: I can not work on translations unless
we are on 2.17. So, I have been waiting this moment to arrive.

Thanks

Re: Moving translation branch to 2.17

Ben Luo
dear all,

long time not to update chinese translation. how can i do now?

regards,

benluo

Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>编写:

Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2012/11/29 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any objection of moving the translation branch over to 2.17?  I
>> think it is about time: syntax and documentation of 2.17 have by now
>> diverged from stable to a degree where significant parts can't be moved
>> between 2.16 and 2.17, and the translations should focus on getting this
>> new work out to non-English speakers as well.
>>
>> I also noticed that in the statistics of commits, translations have
>> dropped precariously (previously Francisco being more or less tieing
>> with me regarding numbers of commits, mostly due to translation merges).
>> So it appears that further staying with 2.16 would block a significant
>> part of work on LilyPond.
>
> Definitely. I speak for myself: I can not work on translations unless
> we are on 2.17. So, I have been waiting this moment to arrive.

I have tried the obvious of checking out the translations branch and
merging current master into it.

Four files are in conflict, Documentation/changes.tely (with obvious
diverging work, where we would just want to get the new version), but
also

Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely
Documentation/fr/notation/rhythms.itely
Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely

where apparently parallel work has happened on both the translation
branch as well as on master.

The resolution appears non-trivial for me and my French really is not up
to figuring out which of the versions would be considered canonical in
each case.  In the case of code examples, one can try using the version
from the untranslated English documentation.  I am not sure this is
always the right choice, though.

El 29/11/2012 15:59, "Ben Luo" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> dear all,
>
> long time not to update chinese translation. how can i do now?

For  me, it is clear that  the best is to wait until translation branch merges on staging, i.e. as usual during normal development of unstable releases.

Paco Vila

Re: Moving translation branch to 2.17

Le 29/11/2012 16:22, David Kastrup disait :

> Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Definitely. I speak for myself: I can not work on translations unless
>> we are on 2.17. So, I have been waiting this moment to arrive.
>
> I have tried the obvious of checking out the translations branch and
> merging current master into it.
>
> Four files are in conflict, Documentation/changes.tely (with obvious
> diverging work, where we would just want to get the new version), but
> also
>
> Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely
> Documentation/fr/notation/rhythms.itely
> Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely
>
> where apparently parallel work has happened on both the translation
> branch as well as on master.

This looks strange, since I have (on my fresh repo) only input and
spacing that diverge, plus changes.

> The resolution appears non-trivial for me and my French really is not up
> to figuring out which of the versions would be considered canonical in
> each case.  In the case of code examples, one can try using the version
> from the untranslated English documentation.  I am not sure this is
> always the right choice, though.

I don't understand why, but the part on /translation is the last updates
that have been done (commit 90220594547127a65e0e2b91e45f4a1fa9ca0c5a
labeled "Doc-fr: update for 2.16.1 (second part)") the day after you had
merged /2.16 into it, and it corresponds with the English version that
is online.

How might I help?

Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:

> Le 29/11/2012 16:22, David Kastrup disait :
>> Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Definitely. I speak for myself: I can not work on translations unless
>>> we are on 2.17. So, I have been waiting this moment to arrive.
>>
>> I have tried the obvious of checking out the translations branch and
>> merging current master into it.
>>
>> Four files are in conflict, Documentation/changes.tely (with obvious
>> diverging work, where we would just want to get the new version), but
>> also
>>
>> Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely
>> Documentation/fr/notation/rhythms.itely
>> Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely
>>
>> where apparently parallel work has happened on both the translation
>> branch as well as on master.
>>

> This looks strange, since I have (on my fresh repo) only input and
> spacing that diverge, plus changes.

I get
git diff --stat translation origin
 Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely   |  715 ++++++++++++-------------------
 Documentation/fr/notation/rhythms.itely |   65 +--
 Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely |   33 +-

after the merge.  Pushed to translation as

commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423
Merge: 9022059 d03ae37
Author: David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Dec 6 15:53:14 2012 +0100

    Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into translation

    Conflicts:
        Documentation/changes.tely

    has been resolved by taking the version in master

        Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely
        Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely

    Code conflicts (possibly from use of convert-ly) have been resolved by
    taking the code corresponding to the current English translation.

It would be worth for the French translator to check the diff between
this merge commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423 and
corresponding master d03ae375a34eaac79b224c4d01bd24749c4c6787 to make
sure that there has been no loss of valid content on master.

All other translations don't seem to have seen changes to both origin
and translation, so they should be able to just get to work.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Moving translation branch to 2.17

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 06/12/2012 16:02, David Kastrup disait :

> Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> This looks strange, since I have (on my fresh repo) only input and
>> spacing that diverge, plus changes.
>
> I get
> git diff --stat translation origin
>   Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely   |  715 ++++++++++++-------------------
>   Documentation/fr/notation/rhythms.itely |   65 +--
>   Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely |   33 +-
>   3 files changed, 306 insertions(+), 507 deletions(-)
>
> after the merge.  Pushed to translation as
>
> commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423
> Merge: 9022059 d03ae37
> Author: David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
> Date:   Thu Dec 6 15:53:14 2012 +0100
>
>      Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into translation
>
>      Conflicts:
>          Documentation/changes.tely
>
>      has been resolved by taking the version in master
>
>          Documentation/fr/notation/input.itely
>          Documentation/fr/notation/spacing.itely
>
>      Code conflicts (possibly from use of convert-ly) have been resolved by
>      taking the code corresponding to the current English translation.

As far as I have checked after having backed up those three files, it
seems to be the effect of convert-ly.

> It would be worth for the French translator to check the diff between
> this merge commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423 and
> corresponding master d03ae375a34eaac79b224c4d01bd24749c4c6787 to make
> sure that there has been no loss of valid content on master.

I'm now on my way with check-translation.

Thanks David for letting us go forward.

Re: Moving translation branch to 2.17

David Kastrup
Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:

> Le 06/12/2012 16:02, David Kastrup disait :
>
>> It would be worth for the French translator to check the diff between
>> this merge commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423 and
>> corresponding master d03ae375a34eaac79b224c4d01bd24749c4c6787 to make
>> sure that there has been no loss of valid content on master.
>>

> I'm now on my way with check-translation.
>
> Thanks David for letting us go forward.

I am actually not all too sure how this landed at my door, but since
people expected me to be the one doing this step, I decided to give it
my best shot.

After all, our translation team are some of the busiest contributors to
LilyPond, and it would be a shame to have them blocked.

El 06/12/2012 20:19, "David Kastrup" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Le 06/12/2012 16:02, David Kastrup disait :
> >
> >> It would be worth for the French translator to check the diff between
> >> this merge commit 01df8ad908c92687d0c352e5ad5f067e52809423 and
> >> corresponding master d03ae375a34eaac79b224c4d01bd24749c4c6787 to make
> >> sure that there has been no loss of valid content on master.
> >>

> > I'm now on my way with check-translation.
> >
> > Thanks David for letting us go forward.
>
> I am actually not all too sure how this landed at my door, but since
> people expected me to be the one doing this step, I decided to give it
> my best shot.
>
> After all, our translation team are some of the busiest contributors to
> LilyPond, and it would be a shame to have them blocked.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Thanks David. Let the fun of translating start again. From now on, I can take care of merging into staging once a week or whenever there are a number of commits made on translation. If no reasons against.

Paco