Re: State of German translation [was: Re: How to extract PDF of translated documentation?]
Hi David, hi translators!
I'll take this chance to react at last to this discussion dating from
January. You all probably have noticed that I have been quite silent for
the last couple of month. My spare time has become really rare after the
birth of my first son four years ago, certainly there are also other
hobbies that keep my busy especially in the summer time.
I did quite a hard work updating the translation for the last stable
version, but I feel definitely that I am not able to maintain the
unstable German translation on a regular base. I considered I would only
start updating the German translation actively when another stable
release will approach. I don't know how you think about this but I
thought I should let you know. Still I think it is better to do at least
something than nothing at all.
The best solution would be that there would be a couple of people
interested in translating German translation so the burden could be
shared. I would likely find the time to introduce new translators to the
working flow but maybe Francisco could explain it in a much more
Am 14.01.13 12:27, schrieb David Kastrup:
> I know that I am not particularly fond of the German translation since
> its language is partly awkward, in all likelihood partly due to the
> need of thinking of German language structure and vocabulary
> independently from the English one: the language flow and word choice
> is often stumbling a bit too close to the English version. ... So it
> would actually benefit the material if a second person went over
> everything again with the focus of getting it to read well
> independently from the material, and then a third person checked that
> the original and translated version still corresponded _factually_.
I agree to that: especially the more technical chapters 4 and 5 are not
translated very fluently into German. At some points German terminology
is also not consistent on all occasions. There is really a lot of
checking and correcting left besides getting the language in a better
sounding form. I decided to concentrate on updating so the translation
would at least be usable to some extend, but there would be a point
arguing that some few shining polished chapters would be better than a
whole translation which is only done approximately. I just decided that
updating would be have the bigger payout.
Am 14.01.13 20:17, schrieb Francisco Vila:
> I don't have an immediate answer and, frankly, I am a bit short of
> time to think about this. Output of 'make ISOLANG=es
> check-translation' is 9729 lines long.
> fr --> 254
> nl --> 326
> it --> 943
> ja --> 8346
> de --> 24989 (!)
Well I guess the simple reason is that I never updated the snippets and
their commitishes, so all translated snippets appear at every run of
OK, so much lamentating from my side. I don't want to give up entirely
and leave the translation work, but I need to keep the workload somehow
at a minimum. Maybe you also have some suggestions or ideas!