Remaining sprint for the release of version 2.20

Remaining sprint for the release of version 2.20

David Kastrup

Whatever else may be on the plate, the immediate problem to be put
behind us right now is the release of 2.20.  I put specifically the
translation team and Werner into Cc.  The translation team should check
what changes of the recent release of 2.19.84 they still need to get
track of.

Werner basically is the person most affected by changes I have not yet
cherry-picked because of problems, changes that likely would be a good
idea to have in 2.20.

Those are his extensive indexing review, and reworks of several
examples.  The indexing review is hard to apply to the by now
significantly from master diverged stable/2.20, and with the reworks of
the examples I am not sure whether they need to be accompanied by
changes to the lilypond-extra archive.  At some point of time, there has
been such a requirement; I was not sure whether it persisted.  If I am
assured that this is either not an issue, or that lilypond-extra will
get the necessary treatment until we can release 2.20 (hopefully in a
week or so), I can do the required cherry-picking myself.

So let's make sure we get our last ducks in a row for closing that
long-awaited chapter.

--
David Kastrup

Re: Remaining sprint for the release of version 2.20

David Kastrup
Jonas Hahnfeld <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.02.2020, 00:44 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Whatever else may be on the plate, the immediate problem to be put
>> behind us right now is the release of 2.20.
>
> fantastic!
>
>> I put specifically the
>> translation team and Werner into Cc.  The translation team should check
>> what changes of the recent release of 2.19.84 they still need to get
>> track of.
>>
>> Werner basically is the person most affected by changes I have not yet
>> cherry-picked because of problems, changes that likely would be a good
>> idea to have in 2.20.
>>
>> Those are his extensive indexing review, and reworks of several
>> examples.  The indexing review is hard to apply to the by now
>> significantly from master diverged stable/2.20, and with the reworks of
>> the examples I am not sure whether they need to be accompanied by
>> changes to the lilypond-extra archive.  At some point of time, there has
>> been such a requirement; I was not sure whether it persisted.  If I am
>> assured that this is either not an issue, or that lilypond-extra will
>> get the necessary treatment until we can release 2.20 (hopefully in a
>> week or so), I can do the required cherry-picking myself.
>>
>> So let's make sure we get our last ducks in a row for closing that
>> long-awaited chapter.
>
> Do you still plan to pick the doc updates you mentioned in your last
> email? See my response for how to do so without too much pain:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-02/msg00032.html

Ah right, the command line stuff.  I'll take a look.  But I'd really
need feedback about Stockhausen et al from whoever knows how the images
make it into the doc and/or web pages on what would be the right way to
process/include them these days.

Le 06/02/2020 à 00:44, David Kastrup a écrit :

> Whatever else may be on the plate, the immediate problem to be put
> behind us right now is the release of 2.20.  I put specifically the
> translation team and Werner into Cc.  The translation team should check
> what changes of the recent release of 2.19.84 they still need to get
> track of.

I've merged stable/2.20 into translation on Sunday for those (including
myself) who want to be synchronized with the English version.  I plan to
be done for the French part on Saturday (2 remaining work-weeks before
one for vacations).

> Werner basically is the person most affected by changes I have not yet
> cherry-picked because of problems, changes that likely would be a good
> idea to have in 2.20.
>
> Those are his extensive indexing review, and reworks of several
> examples.  The indexing review is hard to apply to the by now
> significantly from master diverged stable/2.20, and with the reworks of
> the examples I am not sure whether they need to be accompanied by
> changes to the lilypond-extra archive.  At some point of time, there has
> been such a requirement; I was not sure whether it persisted.  If I am
> assured that this is either not an issue, or that lilypond-extra will
> get the necessary treatment until we can release 2.20 (hopefully in a
> week or so), I can do the required cherry-picking myself.

I don't remember either if lilypond-extra is to be touched.

As a matter of fact and re-thinking about it, those rewordings  and
indexing, as long as they only concerned "old" material that was already
on the stable/2.20 branch, should have been done directly on its
material (they would be back-ported to master with a merge) like we
acted for translations even if new.

> So let's make sure we get our last ducks in a row for closing that
> long-awaited chapter.

I just acknowledged the Free Translation Project that a new release is
out. It might take a few days before importing the results.

Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Werner basically is the person most affected by changes I have not
>> yet cherry-picked because of problems, changes that likely would be
>> a good idea to have in 2.20.
>>
>> Those are his extensive indexing review, and reworks of several
>> examples.  The indexing review is hard to apply to the by now
>> significantly from master diverged stable/2.20, and with the reworks
>> of the examples I am not sure whether they need to be accompanied by
>> changes to the lilypond-extra archive.
>
> As far as I know, the only larger problem could be the file renaming I
> did for consistency reasons, but this can be easily avoided.

Ah, darn it, now I remember.  The web pages are built from master
anyway, so whatever I pick into stable is not even affected, and we
sorted this out long ago in the past.

> I could try to cherry-pick my own patches into 2.20 – this is, I
> prepare a set of commits and send them to you for further testing.
> Does this sound reasonable?

I'll just pick the examples, they will likely go quite clean.

But if you think about what you want to do about the indexing, that
would be really a thing.  Especially if the translators should get a
chance at picking those up yet.

--
David Kastrup