Rename translation branch

Francisco Vila
Hello, David and all,

I'd like the lilypond/translation branch to be renamed to just
'translation' if there are no objections. David, I recall you did
something similar for 'staging'.

A good moment would be just after one or two 2.16 releases, I think.  Comments?

Re: Rename translation branch

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 22/04/2012 19:59, David Kastrup disait :

> Francisco Vila<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Hello, David and all,
>>
>> I'd like the lilypond/translation branch to be renamed to just
>> 'translation' if there are no objections. David, I recall you did
>> something similar for 'staging'.
>>
>> A good moment would be just after one or two 2.16 releases, I think.
>> Comments?
>
> We can do this as soon as you want to.  I don't see that this would be
> related to releases, as the branch naming is not relevant to users.  In
> fact, since we distribute the "Contributor's Guide" also as part of the
> stable documentation (and it will stick around for a long time on
> people's disks), it would make more sense to preferably change it
> _before_ rather than after major releases, and make the CG match.

I totally agree to do it before the release.

Paco, you know what just happened with lilypond.pot. I consider its
generation should be part of releasing. I'm still on it.

2012/4/22 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:

> Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello, David and all,
>>
>> I'd like the lilypond/translation branch to be renamed to just
>> 'translation' if there are no objections. David, I recall you did
>> something similar for 'staging'.
>>
>> A good moment would be just after one or two 2.16 releases, I think.
>> Comments?
>
> We can do this as soon as you want to.  I don't see that this would be
> related to releases, as the branch naming is not relevant to users.  In
> fact, since we distribute the "Contributor's Guide" also as part of the
> stable documentation (and it will stick around for a long time on
> people's disks), it would make more sense to preferably change it
> _before_ rather than after major releases, and make the CG match.

No objections then? Please go ahead. Thanks!
I can take care of related docs.

2012/4/24 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>> No objections then? Please go ahead. Thanks!
>> I can take care of related docs.
>
> Moved it.

Great! Thanks. So please, translators (correct me if I'm wrong): move
lilypond/translation to translation using

# I think you can not rename the branch currently checked out
  git checkout master

# rename our branch
  git branch -m lilypond/translation translation

Now, if you have remotes configured, a way is

# edit the remote; its name could be different

emacs .git/remotes/translation-origin

# now change there 'lilypond/translation' to 'translation'
# in the 'Push:' and 'Pull:' lines.
# after this, you can push and pull as usual, with the same name for the remote.

2012/4/24 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>:
> 2012/4/24 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
>>> No objections then? Please go ahead. Thanks!
>>> I can take care of related docs.

Patch for the rename in docs and lily-git.tcl

0001-Doc-rename-translation-branch.patch (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Rename translation branch

Francisco Vila
2012/4/24 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>:
> Francisco Vila <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Patch for the rename in docs and lily-git.tcl

I will apply the patch into translation branch because it is trivial.

> The docs talk an awful lot about pushing to _master_.  While that has
> nothing to do with the rename, it might be worth fixing nevertheless.

I agree, I am working on it.