Translation of "top" and broken link

Francisco Vila
Hello all,

I have a problem.  My links to manuals point to a translation of
"top", namely "arriba.es.html" for learning and others, see

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/web/manuals.es.html

When comparing my files with others which do work, eg French
index.fr.html#top or German index.de.html#top, I can not spot the
difference. Any clue?

Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po files
for anything useful?

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 26/02/2011 18:45, Francisco Vila disait :

> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem.  My links to manuals point to a translation of
> "top", namely "arriba.es.html" for learning and others, see
>
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/web/manuals.es.html
>
> When comparing my files with others which do work, eg French
> index.fr.html#top or German index.de.html#top, I can not spot the
> difference. Any clue?

I have identified and resolved this problem in May 2010:

in the file LL/web.texi around line 77, you have

@c TITLE PAGE
@ifnottex
@node Arriba  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE IT THE CULPRIT
@top LilyPond... notación musical para todos
@translationof Top
@end ifnottex

when others have

@c TITLE PAGE
@ifnottex
@node Top <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE IS THE GOOD GUY
@top LilyPond... la notation musicale pour tous
@translationof Top
@end ifnottex

> Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po files
> for anything useful?

It normally is used to localize variable names and comments in the
snippets. I remember having pledged for some "harmonization" of the
variable names (sop sopran soprano) and the splitting of sentences when
there is a comment over several lines, but...
In the past, it used to provide translation of node names as well, but
since they are now translated "inline"... it might be worth to exclude
their collect, what I'm unable to do.

2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]>:
> in the file LL/web.texi around line 77, you have
>
> @c TITLE PAGE
> @ifnottex
> @node Arriba  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE IT THE CULPRIT

Right, thank you, but I don't understand how in Earth a @node Arriba
in web.texi could make the link to Learning change.

>> Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po files
>> for anything useful?
>>

> It normally is used to localize variable names and comments in the snippets.
> I remember having pledged for some "harmonization" of the variable names
> (sop sopran soprano) and the splitting of sentences when there is a comment
> over several lines, but...
> In the past, it used to provide translation of node names as well, but since
> they are now translated "inline"... it might be worth to exclude their
> collect, what I'm unable to do.

So you think we could simply ignore glossary entries in po files? Marked as

#. @node in Documentation/music-glossary.tely
#. @section in Documentation/music-glossary.tel

2011/2/26 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>:
> 2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]>:
>> in the file LL/web.texi around line 77, you have
>>
>> @c TITLE PAGE
>> @ifnottex
>> @node Arriba  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HERE IT THE CULPRIT
>
> Right, thank you, but I don't understand how in Earth a @node Arriba
> in web.texi could make the link to Learning change.

Namely, I have

@manualStableLearningSplitNoName-es
@manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
@manualStableEssaySplitNoName-es
@manualStableNotationSplitNoName-es
@manualStableUsageSplitNoName-es
@manualStableSnippetsSplitNoName
@manualStableChangesSplitNoName-es
@manualStableExtendingSplitNoName-es
@manualStableInternalsSplitNoName

And all of them link to arriba.es.html and are broken;

you have

@manualStableLearningSplitNoName-fr
@manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
@manualStableEssaySplitNoName-fr
@manualStableNotationSplitNoName-fr
@manualStableUsageSplitNoName-fr
@manualStableSnippetsSplitNoName
@manualStableChangesSplitNoName
@manualStableExtendingSplitNoName
@manualStableInternalsSplitNoName

And all of them link to index.fr.html#top and work.

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

Le 26/02/2011 20:01, Francisco Vila disait :

> 2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude<[hidden email]>:
>>> Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po files
>>> for anything useful?
>>>

>> It normally is used to localize variable names and comments in the snippets.
>> I remember having pledged for some "harmonization" of the variable names
>> (sop sopran soprano) and the splitting of sentences when there is a comment
>> over several lines, but...
>> In the past, it used to provide translation of node names as well, but since
>> they are now translated "inline"... it might be worth to exclude their
>> collect, what I'm unable to do.

By the way, I've seen on the Texinfo site that it will be possible to
link to a @sectionning name and not only to a @node

> So you think we could simply ignore glossary entries in po files? Marked as
>
> #. @node in Documentation/music-glossary.tely
> #. @section in Documentation/music-glossary.tel

I would say so, since this "manual" is not translated at all. In fact, I
most of the time use a @rglossarynamed{} when I want a term to be in
French, as I do with "snippets" which no longer appears translated.

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

Le 26/02/2011 20:19, Francisco Vila disait :

> 2011/2/26 Francisco Vila<[hidden email]>:
>> 2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude<[hidden email]>:
>>> in the file LL/web.texi around line 77, you have
>>>
>>> @c TITLE PAGE
>>> @ifnottex
>>> @node Arriba<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  HERE IT THE CULPRIT
>>
>> Right, thank you, but I don't understand how in Earth a @node Arriba
>> in web.texi could make the link to Learning change.
>
> Namely, I have
>
> @manualStableLearningSplitNoName-es
> @manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
> @manualStableEssaySplitNoName-es
> @manualStableNotationSplitNoName-es
> @manualStableUsageSplitNoName-es
> @manualStableSnippetsSplitNoName
> @manualStableChangesSplitNoName-es
> @manualStableExtendingSplitNoName-es
> @manualStableInternalsSplitNoName
>
> And all of them link to arriba.es.html and are broken;
>
> you have
>
> @manualStableLearningSplitNoName-fr
> @manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
> @manualStableEssaySplitNoName-fr
> @manualStableNotationSplitNoName-fr
> @manualStableUsageSplitNoName-fr
> @manualStableSnippetsSplitNoName
> @manualStableChangesSplitNoName
> @manualStableExtendingSplitNoName
> @manualStableInternalsSplitNoName
>
> And all of them link to index.fr.html#top and work.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

As a matter of fact, I think there are too many places where things get
defined (macros.itexi, web.texi and manuals.itexi) and it is too much to
juggle with for a translation infrastructure, as well as not really
clear in the CG. I must admit that I have always rely on John for the
"programing dark side"...

Whenever I want to download a pdf version, I get the English one. I have
finally discovered that I had to adapt, in manuals.itexi, the line

   @uref{../\base\.pdf, \base\.pdf}

by prefixing both ".pdf" with a ".fr". But then, when a manual is not
available in French, I get a 404, and that's a pitty.

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

Francisco Vila
2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]>:
> Le 26/02/2011 20:19, Francisco Vila disait :
>> Namely, I have
>>
>> @manualStableLearningSplitNoName-es
>> @manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
>> And all of them link to arriba.es.html and are broken;
>> you have
>> @manualStableLearningSplitNoName-fr
>> @manualStableGlossarySplitNoName
>> And all of them link to index.fr.html#top and work.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

I mean: we have similar macros and my links do not work whereas yours
do. As you suggest, it is frustrating to have the meaning of a link
depending on that many parameters.  For the moment, I (think) I've
checked all other places which could be different, they are still
identical, and my links still do not work.

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude <[hidden email]>:
>> Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po files
>> for anything useful?
>>

> It normally is used to localize variable names and comments in the snippets.

When was the last time you checked this? I can not see comments or
variable names to appear in Spanish or French in bigpage NR (for
example; others not checked.)

for example, fr.po has

  #. Documentation/extending/scheme-tutorial.itely:1354 (variable)
  #. Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:3003 (variable)
  #. Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:3058 (variable)
  #. Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:3802 (variable)
  msgid "padText"
  msgstr "decallageTexte"

(l.334)

but no decallageTexte around, only padText everywhere.

Re: Translation of "top" and broken link

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 27/02/2011 19:23, Francisco Vila disait :

> 2011/2/26 Jean-Charles Malahieude<[hidden email]>:
>>> Besides: does anyone know if we are using Documentation/po/*.po
>>> files for anything useful?
>>>

>> It normally is used to localize variable names and comments in the
>> snippets.
>
> When was the last time you checked this? I can not see comments or
> variable names to appear in Spanish or French in bigpage NR (for
> example; others not checked.)
>
> for example, fr.po has
>
> #. Documentation/extending/scheme-tutorial.itely:1354 (variable)
> #. Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:3003 (variable)
> #. Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:3058 (variable)
> #. Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:3802 (variable)
> msgid "padText"
> msgstr "decallageTexte"
>
> (l.334)
>
> but no decallageTexte around, only padText everywhere.

I don't understand what's happening. If you look at the stable version
of the tutorial, you'll see that the snippets in "2.1.2 Simple notation"
get translated. Too bad that I have not noticed when this got ineffective...