Typos in German manual

Ralf Wildenhues
Hello German Lilyponders!

here's a patch (against git master) to fix typos in the German manual.
There are a few node renames which I hope are uncontroversial, but if
not, please allow me to redo the patch.

I'm not quite certain whether my changes require updating the "this is
translation of comittish XXX"; I would assume not, though.

Things not fixed in this patch:

- The string "Seitennummerbezeichnung" occurs a few times in
  Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely; I think it is not
  right, as the node deals with Gitarren Saiten not Seiten.  I'm not
  sure what the right term would be.

- Gesangtext vs. Gesangstext, and lots of derived words.  I think the
  former is wrong, but it occurs several times and I'm not sure if maybe
  both forms are valid.

The patch is bzip2'ed so it hopefully makes it through to the list.
Again, I can only recommend 'git show --color-words' for reviewing,
and I'd be grateful if somebody could test it for me, too, because
I've not yet built LilyPond successfully.

Cheers, and thanks for maintaining the manual,
Ralf

0002-Fix-typos-in-the-German-manual.patch.bz2 (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Typos in German manual

Till Paala
  Am 31.07.10 12:26, schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> Hello German Lilyponders!
Hi Ralf!
> here's a patch (against git master) to fix typos in the German manual.
> There are a few node renames which I hope are uncontroversial, but if
> not, please allow me to redo the patch.
Great patch, thank you for that work. Counting the load of spelling
mistakes you fixed you can guess that I don't have a working spell check
system at the moment, so any improvements are always welcome.
I guess you will commit the patch yourself as I commit only to the
translationbranch.
> I'm not quite certain whether my changes require updating the "this is
> translation of comittish XXX"; I would assume not, though.
No, this should be updated only after having run the script
'check-translation' and having done the according updates to the file to
be marked.
> Things not fixed in this patch:
>
> - The string "Seitennummerbezeichnung" occurs a few times in
>    Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely; I think it is not
>    right, as the node deals with Gitarren Saiten not Seiten.  I'm not
>    sure what the right term would be.
Sure it should be Saite. I did some investigating but am not a string
instrument expert so I don't know it either. Sometimes the users on
lilypondforum.de could help with terminology.
> - Gesangtext vs. Gesangstext, and lots of derived words.  I think the
>    former is wrong, but it occurs several times and I'm not sure if maybe
>    both forms are valid.
I would also tend to use the latter, so correct if it is easy for you.
> Again, I can only recommend 'git show --color-words' for reviewing,
how does this work for files new to git? I just get back an empty prompt.
> and I'd be grateful if somebody could test it for me, too, because
> I've not yet built LilyPond successfully.
your patch compiles fine, go ahead and apply it.
> Cheers, and thanks for maintaining the manual,
I always appreciate help with the German manual since I am the only
person doing maintainance and translation. There is a lot to be done and
my time is getting only tighter. So I would be very glad if you had some
time to spend on the German manual.

Greetings
Till

Re: Typos in German manual

Ralf Wildenhues
Hi Till,

* Till Paala wrote on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:21:39PM CEST:
>  Am 31.07.10 12:26, schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> >here's a patch (against git master) to fix typos in the German manual.
> >There are a few node renames which I hope are uncontroversial, but if
> >not, please allow me to redo the patch.

> Great patch, thank you for that work. Counting the load of spelling
> mistakes you fixed you can guess that I don't have a working spell
> check system at the moment, so any improvements are always welcome.

;-)

> I guess you will commit the patch yourself as I commit only to the
> translationbranch.

I don't have commit access at all; can somebody commit it for me?

> >Things not fixed in this patch:
[...]

Might look into these eventually, thanks.

> >Again, I can only recommend 'git show --color-words' for reviewing,
> how does this work for files new to git? I just get back an empty prompt.

I'm not sure what you mean, so let me just explain in a bit more detail:

When you have new files, or changes in bigger blocks, --color-words
doesn't help you all that much.  But with little typos, where only one
or two characters change, maybe just an n to an m or so, my eye has a
hard time spotting the change even with colored lines.  This is where
--color-words really helps.

For completely new files not known in the previous git tree, it is not
really useful.

In order to use it, ensure your git has color enabled, i.e., something
like this in your ~/.gitconfig:

[color]
        pager = true
        ui = auto
[core]
        pager = less -FRSX

and then pass the option to 'git show' or 'git diff', depending on
how you have applied the patch to your tree.

> >Cheers, and thanks for maintaining the manual,
> I always appreciate help with the German manual since I am the only
> person doing maintainance and translation. There is a lot to be done
> and my time is getting only tighter. So I would be very glad if you
> had some time to spend on the German manual.

Not really; sorry.

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: Typos in German manual

Till Paala
  Am 02.08.10 21:32, schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
>> I guess you will commit the patch yourself as I commit only to the
>> translationbranch.
> I don't have commit access at all; can somebody commit it for me?
Can you redo the patch from lilypond/translation? I can apply it onto
this branch.
> When you have new files, or changes in bigger blocks, --color-words
> doesn't help you all that much.  But with little typos, where only one
> or two characters change, maybe just an n to an m or so, my eye has a
> hard time spotting the change even with colored lines.  This is where
> --color-words really helps.
OK, now I understood it. Good idea!

Greetings
Till

Re: Typos in German manual

Ralf Wildenhues
* Till Paala wrote on Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 01:04:06PM CEST:
>  Am 02.08.10 21:32, schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> >>I guess you will commit the patch yourself as I commit only to the
> >>translationbranch.
> >I don't have commit access at all; can somebody commit it for me?
> Can you redo the patch from lilypond/translation? I can apply it
> onto this branch.

Rebased patch attached.

Thanks,
Ralf

0001-Fix-typos-in-the-German-manual.patch.bz2 (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Typos in German manual

Till Paala
  Am 04.08.10 20:37, schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> * Till Paala wrote on Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 01:04:06PM CEST:
>>> I don't have commit access at all; can somebody commit it for me?
>> Can you redo the patch from lilypond/translation? I can apply it
>> onto this branch.
> Rebased patch attached.
Thanks, applied. For the future could you please prefix you patches with
the string Doc-de: "what has been done".

Greetings
Till