broken internal link in LM

Federico Bruni-2
I'm wondering hot @ref links work...
For example, look at this page:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/nesting-music-expressions.it.html

Go to the bottom of the page and you'll see that the Size of objects
link is 'broken'.
It's an internal link to 4.3.2 of LM.  The file is tweaks.itely, that
I've not translated yet.

But I think that the link should work even if tweaks.itely is not
translated (as long as I don't translate the name of the node).

So why it's not working here?

Maybe because my it/learning.tely is a bit 'strange' (it was generated
by a script)? (see below)
Should I remove the nodes and put the includes of tweaks and template
even though I haven't translated yet?

Thanks for your patience ;-)

@c INCLUDES

@include learning/tutorial.itely
@include learning/common-notation.itely
@include learning/fundamental.itely

@node Tweaking output
@chapter Tweaking output

@untranslated

@node Templates
@appendix Templates

@untranslated

Re: broken internal link in LM

Francisco Vila
2011/6/21 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:

> I'm wondering hot @ref links work...
> For example, look at this page:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/nesting-music-expressions.it.html
>
> Go to the bottom of the page and you'll see that the Size of objects
> link is 'broken'.
> It's an internal link to 4.3.2 of LM.  The file is tweaks.itely, that
> I've not translated yet.
>
> But I think that the link should work even if tweaks.itely is not
> translated (as long as I don't translate the name of the node).
>
> So why it's not working here?
>
> Maybe because my it/learning.tely is a bit 'strange' (it was generated
> by a script)? (see below)
> Should I remove the nodes and put the includes of tweaks and template
> even though I haven't translated yet?
>
> Thanks for your patience ;-)
>

> @c INCLUDES
>
> @include learning/tutorial.itely
> @include learning/common-notation.itely
> @include learning/fundamental.itely
>
> @node Tweaking output
> @chapter Tweaking output
>
> @untranslated
>
> @node Templates
> @appendix Templates
>
> @untranslated

Let me compare different languages here.

cd Documentation
Documentation$ git grep "Size of objects"

cs/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects
de/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects
es/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects
fr/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects

  these four languages have both the @ref and the node name
translated; they include a @translationof line and their links work.

hu/learning/fundamental.itely:szedjük. Ehhez további új parancsok
kellenek; ld. az @ref{Size of objects} és
hu/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects
hu/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects

  This repeated line is a mistake.  hu/ has the @ref untranslated, the
node name is translated and there is a @translationof line.  The link
does work.  The node text is @untranslated.

it/learning/fundamental.itely:comandi che non sono stati ancora
presentati.  Si veda @ref{Size of objects},

  Your link does not work.  You have the @ref untranslated and your
@node name is not there.  You also do not have a @translationof.

ja/learning/tweaks.itely:@translationof Size of objects

  ja/ : same as in cs/de/es/fr

(...)

nl/learning/fundamental.itely:have not yet been introduced.  See
@ref{Size of objects},

  This link does (!) work. This @ref is untranslated and there is no
matching @node name.  There is no @translationof.

  Here, I am lost. Why nl/ works and it/ doesn't ?  You could try
adding a @translationof and/or translating the node name and the @ref.
 Even if this worked, it didn't explain why nl/ does not need this.

You can infer that I do not understand how @ref links work, either.

Il giorno mer, 22/06/2011 alle 17.50 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> So why it's not working here?
> >
> > Maybe because my it/learning.tely is a bit 'strange' (it was
> generated
> > by a script)? (see below)
> > Should I remove the nodes and put the includes of tweaks and
> template
> > even though I haven't translated yet?

I made this change and compiled the doc from scratch and that link works
fine now.
I'll send the patch within a couple of days.

Another question: can I update just the committish in a file or this
would break some best practice?
I'd like to do it just for some files in usage/ that have been
automatically updated by convert-ly: the committish was not updated so
the make script thinks it should be updated.

El 25/06/2011 09:55, "Federico Bruni" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Il giorno mer, 22/06/2011 alle 17.50 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> > So why it's not working here?
> > >
> > > Maybe because my it/learning.tely is a bit 'strange' (it was
> > generated
> > > by a script)? (see below)
> > > Should I remove the nodes and put the includes of tweaks and
> > template
> > > even though I haven't translated yet?
>
> I made this change and compiled the doc from scratch and that link works
> fine now.
> I'll send the patch within a couple of days.
>
> Another question: can I update just the committish in a file or this
> would break some best practice?

I do it all the time.

> I'd like to do it just for some files in usage/ that have been
> automatically updated by convert-ly: the committish was not updated so
> the make script thinks it should be updated.

I see no reason for not fixing a wrong committish. Don't think twice.

(These tiny android keyboards are really clumsy) :)