compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

Federico Bruni-2
Hi translators,

I've started translating the NR and I'm now trying to compile the
documentation to see the results. But I get this error when I run 'make
-j3':

make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** notation: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation/it'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I followed the CG and I've placed "notation" in
Documentation/it/GNUMakefile, which has now the following lines:

ISOLANG = it
depth = ../..
SUBDIRS = learning texidocs web usage included notation
STEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = documentation texinfo
LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = lilypond ly doc-i18n-root

include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make

I also have this GNUMakefile in Documentation/it/notation:

depth = ../../..

LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = ly

include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make

So why that error?
Any idea?

Re: compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 03/01/2012 19:14, Federico Bruni disait :
> Hi translators,

First of all,
  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY !

> I've started translating the NR and I'm now trying to compile the
> documentation to see the results. But I get this error when I run 'make
> -j3':
>
> make: Entering an unknown directory
> make: *** notation: No such file or directory. Stop.
> make: Leaving an unknown directory
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation/it'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

What happens if you launch "make -j1"?
The offending file/directory might be further upwards because of
multiple threads. I'm always in trouble when making a fresh build other
than with j1.

> I followed the CG and I've placed "notation" in
> Documentation/it/GNUMakefile, which has now the following lines:
>
> ISOLANG = it
> depth = ../..
> SUBDIRS = learning texidocs web usage included notation
> STEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = documentation texinfo
> LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = lilypond ly doc-i18n-root
>
> include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make
>

> I also have this GNUMakefile in Documentation/it/notation:
>
> depth = ../../..
>
> LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = ly
>
> include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make

Both look good.

By the way, you should have

Documentation/it/notation.tely => the master file for NR, with includes
(try in a first step to comment the lines where includes are not present
for you)

Documentation/it/notation/notation.itely => first chapter of NR with
includes for sections (pitches, rhythms...)

Hoping this helps,

Il 03/01/2012 19:46, Jean-Charles Malahieude ha scritto:

> Le 03/01/2012 19:14, Federico Bruni disait :
>> Hi translators,
>>

> First of all,
> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY !
>
>> I've started translating the NR and I'm now trying to compile the
>> documentation to see the results. But I get this error when I run 'make
>> -j3':
>>
>> make: Entering an unknown directory
>> make: *** notation: No such file or directory. Stop.
>> make: Leaving an unknown directory
>> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation/it'
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fede/lilypond-git/build/Documentation'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>

> What happens if you launch "make -j1"?
> The offending file/directory might be further upwards because of
> multiple threads. I'm always in trouble when making a fresh build other
> than with j1.

The same thing happens.

>> I followed the CG and I've placed "notation" in
>> Documentation/it/GNUMakefile, which has now the following lines:
>>
>> ISOLANG = it
>> depth = ../..
>> SUBDIRS = learning texidocs web usage included notation
>> STEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = documentation texinfo
>> LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = lilypond ly doc-i18n-root
>>
>> include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make
>>

>> I also have this GNUMakefile in Documentation/it/notation:
>>
>> depth = ../../..
>>
>> LOCALSTEPMAKE_TEMPLATES = ly
>>
>> include $(depth)/make/stepmake.make
>>

> Both look good.
>
> By the way, you should have
>
> Documentation/it/notation.tely => the master file for NR, with includes
> (try in a first step to comment the lines where includes are not present
> for you)

yes, I had it

> Documentation/it/notation/notation.itely => first chapter of NR with
> includes for sections (pitches, rhythms...)

oh, that one was missing (BTW, CG should be updated)

But I still get the same error.
I also tried to comment, in it/notation.tely, the includes to files not
translated.
Then I commented also the includes in it/notation/notation.itely (except
for pitches.itely, the file I've translated so far).

No success.

I'll try a fresh build.

BTW, how do you build Jean-Charles?
In the root directory or in build/?

I'm afraid that two builds could create conflicts...
I used to:

- first build lilypond in build/

- then, in order to use the translation scripts, I need to run the
configure in the root and then 'make -C scripts && make -C python'. This
way I can cd into Documentation and run 'make check-translation'.

There's any cons in this setup?

For example, if I try a new build in build/ **after** running configure
in the root directory, I get this warning:

$ cd build
$ ../configure
Source directory already configured.  Please clean the source directory

      make -C /home/fede/lilypond-git distclean

and rerun configure.

Then I can't run make:

$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
fede@fede-laptop:~/lilypond-git/build$ ls
config.hh  config.log  config.make  config.status  local.make

Does it mean that translators shouldn't build in build/?
Or I'm missing something?

Il 03/01/2012 21:36, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
> I'll try a fresh build.
>
> BTW, how do you build Jean-Charles?
> In the root directory or in build/?
>
> I'm afraid that two builds could create conflicts...

That was the reason, I think.
I made a fresh build in the root and everything works now (I removed
also the comments to the include, because it compiles fine).

I'm still curious to know how you build the doc.
I would prefer using build/.... but maybe it is not recommended/allowed
for translators?

Goodnight,

Re: compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

Francisco Vila
2012/1/4 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> Il 03/01/2012 21:36, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
> I'm still curious to know how you build the doc.
> I would prefer using build/.... but maybe it is not recommended/allowed for
> translators?

I usually just 'make doc' and go shopping.

Besides: I see no reason why a method in particular should be
recommended specially for translators. Even less be disallowed. I see,
however, many advantages in learning how to build parts / manuals /
directories independently.

Re: compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

Federico Bruni-2
Hi Francisco,

Il 06/01/2012 20:42, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> 2012/1/4 Federico Bruni<[hidden email]>:
>> >  Il 03/01/2012 21:36, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
>> >  I'm still curious to know how you build the doc.
>> >  I would prefer using build/.... but maybe it is not recommended/allowed for
>> >  translators?
> I usually just 'make doc' and go shopping.
>
 > Besides: I see no reason why a method in particular should be
 > recommended specially for translators. Even less be disallowed.

I think that you didn't understand my question.
It is about *the directory where* you build lilypond.
In a previous email I better explained the issue (I've pasted it below).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter.
 From now on I'll never build in build/

Il 03/01/2012 21:36, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
 > BTW, how do you build Jean-Charles?
 > In the root directory or in build/?
 >
 > I'm afraid that two builds could create conflicts...
 > I used to:
 >
 > - first build lilypond in build/
 >
 > - then, in order to use the translation scripts, I need to run the
 > configure in the root and then 'make -C scripts && make -C python'. This
 > way I can cd into Documentation and run 'make check-translation'.
 >
 > There's any cons in this setup?
 >
 > For example, if I try a new build in build/ **after** running configure
 > in the root directory, I get this warning:
 >
 > $ cd build
 > $ ../configure
 > Source directory already configured.  Please clean the source directory
 >
 >       make -C /home/fede/lilypond-git distclean
 >
 > and rerun configure.
 > #######################################################################
 >
 > Then I can't run make:
 >
 > $ make
 > make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
 > fede@fede-laptop:~/lilypond-git/build$ ls
 > config.hh  config.log  config.make  config.status  local.make
 >
 >
 > Does it mean that translators shouldn't build in build/?
 > Or I'm missing something?

Re: compiling error "make: Entering an unknown directory"

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 07/01/2012 16:56, Federico Bruni disait :

> Hi Francisco,

>>> recommended/allowed for
>> I usually just 'make doc' and go shopping.
>>
>  > Besides: I see no reason why a method in particular should be
>  > recommended specially for translators. Even less be disallowed.
>

> I think that you didn't understand my question.
> It is about *the directory where* you build lilypond.
> In a previous email I better explained the issue (I've pasted it below).
>
> Anyway, it doesn't really matter.
>  From now on I'll never build in build/
>

> Il 03/01/2012 21:36, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
>  > BTW, how do you build Jean-Charles?
>  > In the root directory or in build/?
>  >
>  > I'm afraid that two builds could create conflicts...
>  > I used to:
>  >
>  > - first build lilypond in build/
>  >
>  > - then, in order to use the translation scripts, I need to run the
>  > configure in the root and then 'make -C scripts && make -C python'. This
>  > way I can cd into Documentation and run 'make check-translation'.
>  >
>  > There's any cons in this setup?
>  >
>  > For example, if I try a new build in build/ **after** running configure
>  > in the root directory, I get this warning:
>  >

I think you make a mistake here. If I understand correctly the CG, you
should not run "configure" in the root, but do:

$ cd /home/fede/lilypond-git
$ ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
$ mkdir build
$ cd build/
$ ../configure
$ make whatever is to be built

>  >
>  > Does it mean that translators shouldn't build in build/?
>  > Or I'm missing something?

As a matter of fact, I've always built in the root of a local clone.

Il 07/01/2012 18:00, Jean-Charles Malahieude ha scritto:

>> > For example, if I try a new build in build/ **after** running configure
>> > in the root directory, I get this warning:
>> >

> I think you make a mistake here. If I understand correctly the CG, you
> should not run "configure" in the root, but do:
>
> $ cd /home/fede/lilypond-git
> $ ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
> $ mkdir build
> $ cd build/
> $ ../configure
> $ make whatever is to be built

Yes, this is what I do the first time, when I'm just interested in
building lilypond (because I want to use the development version).

Then, if I want to work on translation, I need to run these two commands
in the root:

./autogen.sh
make -C python && make -C scripts

Maybe I should have used --noconfigure?
I mean something like this:

./autogen.sh --noconfigure
cp GNUmakefile.in GNUmakefile
make -C python && make -C scripts

(GNUmakefile is generated automatically when using autogen with no
options; I don't know if --noconfigure creates this file or not)

>> > Does it mean that translators shouldn't build in build/?
>> > Or I'm missing something?
>>

> As a matter of fact, I've always built in the root of a local clone.

Yes, the build/ directory suggestion has been introduced in the doc just
recently.