learning/preface.itely

Harmath Dénes
Hi all,

the Preface (learning/preface.itely) is listed among the 3rd priority files, but it isn't included in Learning or anywhere. Will it appear anywhere, and if yes, where?

Thanks in advance,
Dénes

Re: learning/preface.itely

John Mandereau
Hi Dénes,
Le jeudi 31 décembre 2009 à 13:48 +0100, Harmath Dénes a écrit :
> the Preface (learning/preface.itely) is listed among the 3rd priority
> files, but it isn't included in Learning or anywhere. Will it appear
> anywhere, and if yes, where?

It actually disappeared from English documentation some time ago, I just
removed it from the translation list.

Best and happy 2010!

Re: learning/preface.itely

Harmath Dénes
On 2010.01.01., at 23:40, John Mandereau wrote:

> Hi Dénes,
> Le jeudi 31 décembre 2009 à 13:48 +0100, Harmath Dénes a écrit :
>> the Preface (learning/preface.itely) is listed among the 3rd priority
>> files, but it isn't included in Learning or anywhere. Will it appear
>> anywhere, and if yes, where?
>
> It actually disappeared from English documentation some time ago, I just
> removed it from the translation list.

Too bad! We already translated it, and anyway I think it would be worth including somewhere in the docs (perhaps in the website's Introduction).

Dénes

Re: learning/preface.itely

John Mandereau
Le samedi 02 janvier 2010 à 23:40 +0100, Harmath Dénes a écrit :
> Too bad! We already translated it, and anyway I think it would be
> worth including somewhere in the docs (perhaps in the website's
> Introduction).

Oops, this file is still present in the English docs sources, but it
seems that it's included nowhere.  This should have been cleaned up
earlier, but the position of Documentation editor (for English
documentation and documentation issues in general) is still free, and
Graham does so many other things nowadays (releases, development
organization, lilypond.org website technical maintenance) that it's
difficult to blame him about this unfinished reorganization work on the
Learning Manual.  The translation list wasn't up to date either, but
this comes both from the dificulty to know the state of English docs
reorganization and my laziness.

I suggest you to create a (sub)*section somewhere in the new website
named "Preface of 2.x release" (try to find the even value of x where
this preface first appeared), with a @node but without any
@translationof, and put the text of the old preface in that node.

Best,

Re: [translations] learning/preface.itely

Francisco Vila
2010/1/3 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:
> I suggest you to create a (sub)*section somewhere in the new website
> named "Preface of 2.x release" (try to find the even value of x where
> this preface first appeared), with a @node but without any
> @translationof, and put the text of the old preface in that node.

The Preface appeared in 1.4.
b469d0f, 2001-03-17

Suggestions on where to put it in the page?

Le jeudi 21 janvier 2010 à 14:23 +0100, Francisco Vila a écrit :

> 2010/1/3 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:
> > I suggest you to create a (sub)*section somewhere in the new website
> > named "Preface of 2.x release" (try to find the even value of x where
> > this preface first appeared), with a @node but without any
> > @translationof, and put the text of the old preface in that node.
>
> The Preface appeared in 1.4.
> b469d0f, 2001-03-17
>
> Suggestions on where to put it in the page?
I don't understand this question; which page are you talking about?

2010/1/21 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:

> Le jeudi 21 janvier 2010 à 14:23 +0100, Francisco Vila a écrit :
>> 2010/1/3 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:
>> > I suggest you to create a (sub)*section somewhere in the new website
>> > named "Preface of 2.x release" (try to find the even value of x where
>> > this preface first appeared), with a @node but without any
>> > @translationof, and put the text of the old preface in that node.
>>
>> The Preface appeared in 1.4.
>> b469d0f, 2001-03-17
>>
>> Suggestions on where to put it in the page?
>
> I don't understand this question; which page are you talking about?

You mentioned the new website.  Which chapter/section should it be into?

Le jeudi 21 janvier 2010 à 16:22 +0100, Francisco Vila a écrit :
> >> The Preface appeared in 1.4.
> >> b469d0f, 2001-03-17
> >>
> You mentioned the new website.  Which chapter/section should it be into?

I don't know more than you, not I am in better position to decide (I'd
like to be mostly a developer for translations tools, and I have much
still much to do).

Well, as you insist, I have no better idea than the "Old news" page:
this page could be renamed to "Old announcements" and divided into two
parts: "Preface of previous versions" and "Old news".

If/when you all agree about this or another better solution, could one
of you please sum up the issue and send it to lilypond-devel list?

Best,