new to lilypond translations

Michael Gerdau
Dear translators,

I've read the advice under
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation to the best of my knowledge (i.e. subscribed to this list,
downloaded the sourcetree and set up my environment) and would now like
to contact either the translation Meister or learn otherwise how to
continue.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: new to lilypond translations

Dear translators,

I've read the advice under
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation to the best of my knowledge (i.e. subscribed to this list,
downloaded the sourcetree and set up my environment) and would now like
to contact either the translation Meister or learn otherwise how to
continue.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Michael,
I appear as the translation meister but due to a number of reasons I can not currently give any time to the project. Please contact Federico Bruni or Jean-Charles Malahieude.  By the end of the year I plan to retake translations with new energies.

What language do you want to translate to?

Re: new to lilypond translations

Michael Gerdau
> Please contact Federico Bruni
> or Jean-Charles Malahieude.  By the end of the year I plan to retake
> translations with new energies.

How do I do that ?
Is posting here sufficient ?

> What language do you want to translate to?

German (being a native speaker that's the canonical choice :)

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: new to lilypond translations

> Please contact Federico Bruni
> or Jean-Charles Malahieude.  By the end of the year I plan to retake
> translations with new energies.

How do I do that ?
Is posting here sufficient ?

> What language do you want to translate to?

German (being a native speaker that's the canonical choice :)

Hi Michael

Very good to hear that you are willing to help with the german translation.
I guess that your first step will be updating the manuals. I would start with website, then learning, usage and notation reference.

I wrote a simple guide for translators. The information needed to work on the translation is all condensed in one page and should have some more details than the current Contributor Guide (this issue is meant to include this information in the CG: https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2721).

Try to follow this guide and ask if you get stuck. I'll leave again for a trip of 10 days on Wednesday but I'll read emails and try to help you as much as I can without a computer.
I would suggest to send here a patch for the website update first.

Thanks
Federico

lilypond-translation-guide.en.html (16K) Download Attachment

Re: new to lilypond translations

Michael Gerdau
> Very good to hear that you are willing to help with the german
> translation. I guess that your first step will be updating the manuals. I
> would start with website, then learning, usage and notation reference.
>
> I wrote a simple guide for translators. The information needed to work on
> the translation is all condensed in one page and should have some more
> details than the current Contributor Guide (this issue is meant to include
> this information in the CG:
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2721).

Yes, that is helpful and clarifies a few things left unclear by the
current CG.

A minor typo though:
the git command to initially clone lilypond should have a 'lilypond-git'
appended as otherwise it will be cloned into directory lilypond.

> Try to follow this guide and ask if you get stuck. I'll leave again for a
> trip of 10 days on Wednesday but I'll read emails and try to help you as
> much as I can without a computer.
> I would suggest to send here a patch for the website update first.

Will do exactly that.

Thank you for your support, it is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

Re: new to lilypond translations

Michael Gerdau
> Try to follow this guide and ask if you get stuck. I'll leave again for a
> trip of 10 days on Wednesday but I'll read emails and try to help you as
> much as I can without a computer.
> I would suggest to send here a patch for the website update first.

Find attached my first patch for revision. I've updated web.texi.

I'm holding further translations to learn if and what I should change
in my work.

As a sidenote:
I'm not sure I correctly handled the commit process. I made all my
changes to the file and then issued
git commit -m "Doc-de: updating to current version"

However git told me nothing was commited although it also said the
file web.texi had been changed.

I then tried to issue a
git add .
before even though I had not created any new files.
After that the above commit worked.

However issuing
git format-patch origin translation
created the a total of 24867 patch files (presumably the whole chain).
Apparently I did something stupid before.

I deleted the preceding 24866 files and attached the remaining one to
this email.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

24866-Doc-de-updating-to-current-version.patch (9K) Download Attachment

Re: new to lilypond translations

Find attached my first patch for revision. I've updated web.texi.

I'm holding further translations to learn if and what I should change
in my work.

As a sidenote:
I'm not sure I correctly handled the commit process. I made all my
changes to the file and then issued
git commit -m "Doc-de: updating to current version"

However git told me nothing was commited although it also said the
file web.texi had been changed.

I then tried to issue a
git add .
before even though I had not created any new files.
After that the above commit worked.

Yes, you should first add the files you want to include in the commit and then commit them.
You first 'git add' and then 'git commit'.
There are several ways to add files:

git add . # adds modified and new files (not indexed by git)
git add -u . # adds only modified files
git add path/to/file  # adds only the specified file

You normally use one of the firs two commands.

However issuing
git format-patch origin translation
created the a total of 24867 patch files (presumably the whole chain).
Apparently I did something stupid before.

I deleted the preceding 24866 files and attached the remaining one to
this email.

Sorry, this is an error in my guide. The command should be:

git format-patch origin/translation

And you'll get only the patches for your commits.
I'm going to test your patch and let you know.

Re: new to lilypond translations

I'm going to test your patch and let you know.

I must leave this to somebody else, as I'll leave tomorrow and I've hit this problem so I can't verify that your patch compiles fine:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-03/msg00084.html

I've changed my laptop OS from Debian to Fedora, which ships texi2html version 5, not compatible with the lilypond texi2html settings and customization.

For the records, this is the error:

/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/scripts/build/out/extract_texi_filenames -I ./out-www -I .  -q -o /home/fede/src/lilypond-git/./out-www/xref-maps out-www/suffix-tely.texi
/usr/bin/python -tt /home/fede/src/lilypond-git/scripts/build/create-weblinks-itexi.py > out-www/weblinks.itexi
/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/scripts/build/out/run-and-check "DEPTH=../../.. AJAX_SEARCH= TOP_SRC_DIR=/home/fede/src/lilypond-git PERL_UNICODE=SD texi2html --error-limit=0 --I=. --I=./out-www  --I=/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/./out-www/xref-maps --init-file=/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init  --output=out-www/suffix-tely.html out-www/suffix-tely.texi"  "suffix-tely.texilog.log"

Please check the logfile suffix-tely.texilog.log for errors

/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make:50: recipe for target 'out-www/suffix-tely.html' failed
make[4]: *** [out-www/suffix-tely.html] Error 255
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/input/regression/lilypond-book'
/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:166: recipe for target 'WWW-1' failed
make[3]: *** [WWW-1] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/input/regression'
/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:166: recipe for target 'WWW-1' failed
make[2]: *** [WWW-1] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/input'
/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:166: recipe for target 'WWW-1' failed
make[1]: *** [WWW-1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/fede/src/lilypond-git'
/home/fede/src/lilypond-git/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:182: set di istruzioni per l'obiettivo "doc-stage-1" non riuscito
make: *** [doc-stage-1] Errore 2

$ cat./input/regression/lilypond-book/suffix-tely.texilog.log
Undefined subroutine &main::get_index called at /home/fede/src/lilypond-git/Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init line 2273.