new to list

Malte Meyn
Hi list,

I would like to translate some of the documentation to German. For
start, I’d prefer something not too big, maybe changes.tely as 2.20 is
to be released soon? How should I start, simply read the contributors
guide or is there anything else to know?

Cheers,
Malte

Re: new to list

Michael Gerdau

Hi Malte,

I would like to translate some of the documentation to German. For
start, I’d prefer something not too big, maybe changes.tely as 2.20 is
to be released soon? How should I start, simply read the contributors
guide or is there anything else to know?

the contributors guide is a good place to start. There is a special section on rtranslating the documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation.html
(the link on the lilypond site is currently broken as it already points to 2.21).

I suggest you also subscribe to the translators list.

And of course ask whenever something is unclear :)

Kind regards,
Michael

Re: new to list

Malte Meyn

Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Michael Gerdau:

> Hi Malte,
>
>> I would like to translate some of the documentation to German. For
>> start, I’d prefer something not too big, maybe changes.tely as 2.20 is
>> to be released soon? How should I start, simply read the contributors
>> guide or is there anything else to know?
>>
> the contributors guide is a good place to start. There is a special
> section on rtranslating the documentation:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation.html
> (the link on the lilypond site is currently broken as it already points
> to 2.21).

Ok, I’ll read that.

> I suggest you also subscribe to the translators list.

Already done that ;)

> And of course ask whenever something is unclear :)

Ok, here are two first questions:

CG section 5.9.2 of the says “Unmentioned files should not be
translated.” and changes.tely is not mentioned but there are
translations of changes.tely in the translation branch (es, it and fr).
So I assume it’s okay to translate it also to German?

I’m trying to make check-translation according to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-maintenance
but I get the following error message:

$ cd ~/lilypond
$ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu erstellen.
Schluss.
$

This looks as if $(top-src-dir) in Documentation/GNUmakefile isn’t
expanded to (the value of) $LILYPOND_GIT but I have no idea why … In
case it’s relevant: I’m using GNU Make 4.2.1 and Python 3.6.2.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: new to list

David Kastrup
Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ok, here are two first questions:
>
> CG section 5.9.2 of the says “Unmentioned files should not be
> translated.” and changes.tely is not mentioned but there are
> translations of changes.tely in the translation branch (es, it and
> fr). So I assume it’s okay to translate it also to German?
>
> I’m trying to make check-translation according to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-maintenance
> but I get the following error message:
>
> $ cd ~/lilypond
> $ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> ../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu
> erstellen. Schluss.
> $
>
> This looks as if $(top-src-dir) in Documentation/GNUmakefile isn’t
> expanded to (the value of) $LILYPOND_GIT but I have no idea why … In
> case it’s relevant: I’m using GNU Make 4.2.1 and Python 3.6.2.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Probably not setting LILYPOND_GIT ?

--
David Kastrup

Re: new to list

Malte Meyn

Am 10.10.2017 um 17:41 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Ok, here are two first questions:
>>
>> CG section 5.9.2 of the says “Unmentioned files should not be
>> translated.” and changes.tely is not mentioned but there are
>> translations of changes.tely in the translation branch (es, it and
>> fr). So I assume it’s okay to translate it also to German?
>>
>> I’m trying to make check-translation according to
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-maintenance
>> but I get the following error message:
>>
>> $ cd ~/lilypond

This should have been cd ~/lilypond/Documentation ;)

>> $ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
>> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
>> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
>> ../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
>> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
>> make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu
>> erstellen. Schluss.
>> $
>>
>> This looks as if $(top-src-dir) in Documentation/GNUmakefile isn’t
>> expanded to (the value of) $LILYPOND_GIT but I have no idea why … In
>> case it’s relevant: I’m using GNU Make 4.2.1 and Python 3.6.2.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Probably not setting LILYPOND_GIT ?

That’s not the problem … I have this in .bashrc and it’s definitely
defined and exported:

malte@HOSTNAME ~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
malte@HOSTNAME ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$

Re: new to list

David Kastrup
Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 10.10.2017 um 17:41 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Probably not setting LILYPOND_GIT ?
>
> That’s not the problem … I have this in .bashrc and it’s definitely
> defined and exported:
>
> malte@HOSTNAME ~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
> malte@HOSTNAME ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$

It's _defined_.  Whether it is exported is a different question.  It
will be available in every interactive shell even if not exported.

So what lines do you use for defining and exporting it?

--
David Kastrup

Re: new to list

Malte Meyn

Am 10.10.2017 um 18:11 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Probably not setting LILYPOND_GIT ?
>>
>> That’s not the problem … I have this in .bashrc and it’s definitely
>> defined and exported:
>>
>> malte@HOSTNAME ~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
>> malte@HOSTNAME ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$
>
> It's _defined_.  Whether it is exported is a different question.  It
> will be available in every interactive shell even if not exported.
>
> So what lines do you use for defining and exporting it?

~$ tail -n3 ~/.bashrc
export LILYPOND_GIT=/home/malte/lilypond
export LILYPOND_BUILD_DIR=/home/malte/lilypond/build
export LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT=/home/malte/lilypond-extra
~$ . ~/.bashrc
~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu erstellen.
Schluss.
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$

Re: new to list

Il giorno mar 10 ott 2017 alle 16:46, Malte Meyn
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> $ cd ~/lilypond
> $ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> ../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu
> erstellen. Schluss.
> $
>
> This looks as if $(top-src-dir) in Documentation/GNUmakefile isn’t
> expanded to (the value of) $LILYPOND_GIT but I have no idea why …
> In case it’s relevant: I’m using GNU Make 4.2.1 and Python 3.6.2.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps you should use Python 2? (for the langdefs.py error)

All translators run `make check-translation` in the Documentation
directory.
It's been discussed here a few times.
There's an open issue about improving the CG for translators. I wrote a
simple guide some time ago. I'll search the link tomorrow.

Re: new to list

David Kastrup
Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 10.10.2017 um 18:11 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Malte Meyn <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> That’s not the problem … I have this in .bashrc and it’s definitely
>>> defined and exported:
>>>
>>> malte@HOSTNAME ~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
>>> malte@HOSTNAME ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$
>>
>> It's _defined_.  Whether it is exported is a different question.  It
>> will be available in every interactive shell even if not exported.
>>
>> So what lines do you use for defining and exporting it?
>>
> ~$ tail -n3 ~/.bashrc
> export LILYPOND_GIT=/home/malte/lilypond
> export LILYPOND_BUILD_DIR=/home/malte/lilypond/build
> export LILYPOND_WEB_MEDIA_GIT=/home/malte/lilypond-extra
> ~$ . ~/.bashrc
> ~$ cd $LILYPOND_GIT/Documentation
> ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> ../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu
> erstellen. Schluss.
> ~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$

Uh yeah, that's rather unambiguous.

The Makefile scripts appear to use $(top-src-dir) here.  It's probably
handed down from the top Makefile.  You like need to do

make ISOLANG=de check-translation

in the top directory rather than the Documentation directory in order to
get this hand-down to work?

--
David Kastrup

Re: new to list

Le 10/10/2017 à 16:46, Malte Meyn a écrit :

> Ok, here are two first questions:
>
> CG section 5.9.2 of the says “Unmentioned files should not be
> translated.” and changes.tely is not mentioned but there are
> translations of changes.tely in the translation branch (es, it and fr).
> So I assume it’s okay to translate it also to German?

changes.tely might be the exception as long as other manuals are already
available.

> I’m trying to make check-translation according to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-maintenance
> but I get the following error message:
>
> $ cd ~/lilypond
> $ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
> ../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
> Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu erstellen.
> Schluss.
> $
>
> This looks as if $(top-src-dir) in Documentation/GNUmakefile isn’t
> expanded to (the value of) $LILYPOND_GIT but I have no idea why … In
> case it’s relevant: I’m using GNU Make 4.2.1 and Python 3.6.2.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

What about if you first build the binaries? I've noticed, when working
with a fresh clone, that the sequence is (from the top-dir and a quadcore)

./autogen.sh
make -j5
make -j5 doc LANGS='fr'
cd Documentation/
make ISOLANG=fr NO_COLOR=1 check-translation > ../../chktrans

and then open chktrans and apply the changes.

Ich erfreue mich daß die Deutsche Übersetzung wieder erwegt…
Willkommen am Bord!

Re: new to list

Malte Meyn

Am 10.10.2017 um 19:02 schrieb Jean-Charles Malahieude:
> What about if you first build the binaries? I've noticed, when working
> with a fresh clone, that the sequence is (from the top-dir and a quadcore)
>
> ./autogen.sh

That was it. For building the binaries I ran autogen.sh with the
--noconfigure option. This works for building the binaries and the docs
but not for make check-translation.

Re: new to list

Federico Bruni-3

Il giorno mer 11 ott 2017 alle 18:20, Malte Meyn
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Am 10.10.2017 um 19:02 schrieb Jean-Charles Malahieude:
>> What about if you first build the binaries? I've noticed, when
>> working with a fresh clone, that the sequence is (from the top-dir
>> and a quadcore)
>>
>> ./autogen.sh
>
> That was it. For building the binaries I ran autogen.sh with the
> --noconfigure option. This works for building the binaries and the
> docs but not for make check-translation.

Unlikely: you need to run ./configure before building the binary anyway.
Perhaps you checked out the translation branch after working on the
master branch, where maybe you worked on the build/ dir?

Re: new to list

Malte Meyn

Am 11.10.2017 um 18:46 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> Il giorno mer 11 ott 2017 alle 18:20, Malte Meyn <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>>

>> Am 10.10.2017 um 19:02 schrieb Jean-Charles Malahieude:
>>> What about if you first build the binaries? I've noticed, when
>>> working with a fresh clone, that the sequence is (from the top-dir
>>> and a quadcore)
>>>
>>> ./autogen.sh
>>
>> That was it. For building the binaries I ran autogen.sh with the
>> --noconfigure option. This works for building the binaries and the
>> docs but not for make check-translation.
>>

> Unlikely: you need to run ./configure before building the binary anyway.
> Perhaps you checked out the translation branch after working on the
> master branch, where maybe you worked on the build/ dir?

If I run ./autogen.sh --noconfigure from the root directory and then
../configure from the build directory, it’s not enough, you need
./configure from the root directory or ./autogen.sh without --noconfigure:

~/lilypond (translation=)$ rm -rf *      # to clean all config things
~/lilypond (translation *=)$ git co -- * # to bring back the files known
to git
~/lilypond (translation=)$ ./autogen.sh --noconfigure &>/dev/null
~/lilypond (translation=)$ mkdir build
~/lilypond (translation=)$ cd build
~/lilypond/build (translation=)$ ../configure &>/dev/null
~/lilypond/build (translation=)$ cd ../Documentation/
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$ make ISOLANG=de check-translation
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
make: /python/langdefs.py: Kommando nicht gefunden
../make/stepmake.make:130: /stepmake/omf-targets.make: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: *** Keine Regel, um „/stepmake/omf-targets.make“ zu erstellen.
Schluss.
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$ cd ..
~/lilypond (translation=)$ ./autogen.sh &>/dev/null
~/lilypond (translation=)$ cd Documentation/
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$ make ISOLANG=de
check-translation >/dev/null # success
langdefs.py: warning: lilypond-doc gettext domain not found.
~/lilypond/Documentation (translation=)$

Re: new to list

Federico Bruni-3
Yes, my guess was correct.
Translators should not use build/ but run every command on the top directory.

I know that Contributor Guide does not warn about this.
There's an open issue on the tracker...

The title should be updated, as the scope of the issue is beyond git.