not translating a node in a file

Federico Bruni-3
Hi translators

Continuous changes to Google Summer of Code node made me think about
removing the translation, because maintaining the translation is too
cumbersome and it's not worth (as any GSoC candidate should speak
english).
The problem is that I do not want to throw away all the community
italian file, of course.

The documentation seems to suggest that something like this:

"""
@node Google Summer of Code
@unnumberedsec Google Summer of Code
@translationof Google Summer of Code

@untranslated
"""

should load the text from the original english file into the localized
page.
Ok, probably it's just my imagination. I've found it here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-details#translating-the-web-site-and-other-texinfo-documentation

When I run "make website" after applying above change I get a 404 error
when I try to open the italian GSoC page.
So the italian node is not created.
It's a bug or I'm missing something? (see patch attached if you want to
try it out)

An alternative might be moving the GSoC page in an includable file (in
Documentation/included/), so we can easily include the english text in
a localized website.

Thanks for any suggestion
Federico

0001-leave-GSoC-page-in-English.patch (8K) Download Attachment

Re: not translating a node in a file

Federico Bruni-3

Il giorno mer 29 mar 2017 alle 18:45, Federico Bruni
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi translators
>
> Continuous changes to Google Summer of Code node made me think about
> removing the translation, because maintaining the translation is too
> cumbersome and it's not worth (as any GSoC candidate should speak
> english).
> The problem is that I do not want to throw away all the community
> italian file, of course.
>
> The documentation seems to suggest that something like this:
>
> """
> @node Google Summer of Code
> @unnumberedsec Google Summer of Code
> @translationof Google Summer of Code
>
> @untranslated
> """
>
> should load the text from the original english file into the
> localized page.
> Ok, probably it's just my imagination. I've found it here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-details#translating-the-web-site-and-other-texinfo-documentation
>
> When I run "make website" after applying above change I get a 404
> error when I try to open the italian GSoC page.
> So the italian node is not created.
> It's a bug or I'm missing something? (see patch attached if you want
> to try it out)
>
> An alternative might be moving the GSoC page in an includable file
> (in Documentation/included/), so we can easily include the english
> text in a localized website.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion
> Federico

Today I had the chance to run 'make doc' and in this case the GSoC page
is generated, BUT it's all (including menu and footer) in english.

What do you think about moving the GSoC node to Documentation/included?
I may give it a try if there's no objection.

Re: not translating a node in a file

Walter Garcia-Fontes
* Federico Bruni, [hidden email] [30/03/17 13:44]:
> What do you think about moving the GSoC node to Documentation/included?
> I may give it a try if there's no objection.

Fine with me,
Walter

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Re: not translating a node in a file

>> Continuous changes to Google Summer of Code node made me think about
>> removing the translation, because maintaining the translation is too
>> cumbersome and it's not worth (as any GSoC candidate should speak english).
>> The problem is that I do not want to throw away all the community italian
>> file, of course.

>> When I run "make website" after applying above change I get a 404 error
>> when I try to open the italian GSoC page.
>> So the italian node is not created.
>> It's a bug or I'm missing something? (see patch attached if you want to
>> try it out)
>>
>> An alternative might be moving the GSoC page in an includable file (in
>> Documentation/included/), so we can easily include the english text in a
>> localized website.
> Today I had the chance to run 'make doc' and in this case the GSoC page is
> generated, BUT it's all (including menu and footer) in english.
>
> What do you think about moving the GSoC node to Documentation/included?
> I may give it a try if there's no objection.

I think the @untranslated option is better because it does not mean a
change for original English authors, but otherwise I put no objection.

I could be wrong but make website is intended to be triggered after
any successful make doc, that's why it didn't work for you at first.

paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com

Re: not translating a node in a file

Federico Bruni-3

Il giorno gio 30 mar 2017 alle 14:08, Francisco Vila
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>>>  Continuous changes to Google Summer of Code node made me think
>>> about
>>>  removing the translation, because maintaining the translation is
>>> too
>>>  cumbersome and it's not worth (as any GSoC candidate should speak
>>> english).
>>>  The problem is that I do not want to throw away all the community
>>> italian
>>>  file, of course.
>
>>>  When I run "make website" after applying above change I get a 404
>>> error
>>>  when I try to open the italian GSoC page.
>>>  So the italian node is not created.
>>>  It's a bug or I'm missing something? (see patch attached if you
>>> want to
>>>  try it out)
>>>
>>>  An alternative might be moving the GSoC page in an includable file
>>> (in
>>>  Documentation/included/), so we can easily include the english
>>> text in a
>>>  localized website.
>>  Today I had the chance to run 'make doc' and in this case the GSoC
>> page is
>>  generated, BUT it's all (including menu and footer) in english.
>>
>>  What do you think about moving the GSoC node to
>> Documentation/included?
>>  I may give it a try if there's no objection.
>
> I think the @untranslated option is better because it does not mean a
> change for original English authors, but otherwise I put no objection.

I would agree if:

1. menus, footer, etc. were not in english
2. it wouldn't break 'make website' (see below)

> I could be wrong but make website is intended to be triggered after
> any successful make doc, that's why it didn't work for you at first.

I've run 'make website' again after a successful 'make doc' (and after
"touching" all the files in Documentation/it/web). Again no
google-summer-of-code.it.html file generated:

$ find out-website/website/ -name google-summer-of-code*
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.en.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.de.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.fr.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.es.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.nl.html
out-website/website/google-summer-of-code.ja.html

I'll propose a patch to move the english node.