[patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

Federico Bruni-2
I've just noticed a lot of warnings after 'make doc', which are related
to this commit:

commit f92a7cd52fc45a083bbd7bc54130d14b314d9a4b
Author: Julien Rioux <[hidden email]>
Date:   Sat Oct 13 13:37:15 2012 -0400

     Emit warnings for missing translations.

Missing translations are currently it and cs.
Find attached the patch for italian. Can I push it to translation?

I wonder what is the purpose of these translations.
It seems that these nodes are already translated in the texi file. For
example:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/web/development.it.html

fede@fede-laptop:~/lilypond-git/Documentation/it$ git grep 'HTML pagina
unica'
web.texi:  @docLink{\name\ (HTML pagina
unica),\base\-big-page.html,\webLink\}


Sometimes it's not clear where some translated text comes from.
For example, each manual has a menu on the left: Lilypond -- <name of
manual>. I thought that this translation is made in macros.itexi, but
apparently it's not, since italian manuals have the english title in the
side menu even if macros.itexi has been translated.

Probably it's Documentation/*.po? I decided not to translate that po
file when I realized that most of those lines were obsolete. But
something is still used probably...

Now I don't have time and energy to investigate on it. But I'm glad to
hear suggestions.
Thanks
--
Federico

0001-create-weblinks-itexi-add-italian-translation.patch (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

Federico Bruni-2
Il 11/12/2012 14:03, Julien Rioux ha scritto:
> On 10/12/2012 5:30 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:

>
>> Missing translations are currently it and cs.
>> Find attached the patch for italian. Can I push it to translation?
>>
>
> Looks good to me.
>

Ok, pushed.
Let's stop the warnings, then maybe John will tell us if those
translations make still sense or not.

>> I wonder what is the purpose of these translations.
>> It seems that these nodes are already translated in the texi file. For
>> example:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/web/development.it.html
>>
>> fede@fede-laptop:~/lilypond-git/Documentation/it$ git grep 'HTML pagina
>> unica'
>> web.texi: @docLink{\name\ (HTML pagina
>> unica),\base\-big-page.html,\webLink\}
>>
>>
>
> I though that they were used for the "website-only" build (without full
> `make doc`) that appears at the top-level URL lilypond.org (without
> extra /doc/v2.17/Doc...). See for example how
>
> http://lilypond.org/development.it.html
>
> differs from
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/web/development.it.html
>
> and compare with, say, the French version.
>

I'm not sure.
I'm not familiar with 'make website' but I've made a quick test now and
I can't see no changes.


>> Sometimes it's not clear where some translated text comes from.
>
> I agree that it's not clear, and I'm confused as well. Unfortunately
> work on http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1050 seems to
> have stalled.
>
>> For example, each manual has a menu on the left: Lilypond -- <name of
>> manual>. I thought that this translation is made in macros.itexi, but
>> apparently it's not, since italian manuals have the english title in the
>> side menu even if macros.itexi has been translated.
>>
>
> So Italian is missing but translations for other languages are there?
> Then this is probably where the translations in create-weblinks-itexi.py
> are used. This would fit the description.
>

No, it's because I didn't translate @lilyTitlePage{Learning Manual} in
learning.tely
I did the same error in all the manual translated, I guess. I'll fix
that in my next update.

>> Probably it's Documentation/*.po? I decided not to translate that po
>> file when I realized that most of those lines were obsolete. But
>> something is still used probably...
>>
>
> I don't know what the Documentation/po files are used for, maybe John
> knows?
>

No need for explanation: I'll just look up in Documentation/it.po and
search the strings to be translated.
I think that very few strings in the Documentation .po file need to be
translated. I can find out by myself, no problem.

Thanks
--
Federico


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

John Mandereau
Il giorno mar, 11/12/2012 alle 22.11 +0100, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
> Ok, pushed.
> Let's stop the warnings, then maybe John will tell us if those
> translations make still sense or not.

If you look at Git history, you'll see that I have never changed
create-weblinks-itexi.py.  I'm always less fond of this stack of hacks
around Texinfo for getting translations right, if I got back to working
on documentation and translation infrastructure my first step would be
getting a Texinfo formatter that is extensible in a reasonable way (e.g.
by programming with monads in a richly typed language like Haskell,
Ocaml, or possibly Python), not the current or past implementations of
Makeinfo in C or Perl.

John



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

David Kastrup
John Mandereau <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il giorno mar, 11/12/2012 alle 22.11 +0100, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
>> Ok, pushed.
>> Let's stop the warnings, then maybe John will tell us if those
>> translations make still sense or not.
>
> If you look at Git history, you'll see that I have never changed
> create-weblinks-itexi.py.  I'm always less fond of this stack of hacks
> around Texinfo for getting translations right, if I got back to working
> on documentation and translation infrastructure my first step would be
> getting a Texinfo formatter that is extensible in a reasonable way (e.g.
> by programming with monads in a richly typed language like Haskell,
> Ocaml, or possibly Python), not the current or past implementations of
> Makeinfo in C or Perl.

The Guilev2 manual offers

File: guile-2.0.info,  Node: texinfo,  Next: texinfo docbook,  Prev: sxml xpath,  Up: Standard Library

8.9 (texinfo)
=============

8.9.1 Overview
--------------

Texinfo processing in scheme
............................

This module parses texinfo into SXML. TeX will always be the processor
of choice for print output, of course. However, although `makeinfo'
works well for info, its output in other formats is not very
customizable, and the program is not extensible as a whole. This module
aims to provide an extensible framework for texinfo processing that
integrates texinfo into the constellation of SXML processing tools.


so that would seem a somewhat interesting starting point.

--
David Kastrup


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

John Mandereau
Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 12.15 +0100, David Kastrup ha scritto:

> The Guilev2 manual offers
>
> File: guile-2.0.info,  Node: texinfo,  Next: texinfo docbook,  Prev: sxml xpath,  Up: Standard Library
>
> 8.9 (texinfo)
> =============
>
> 8.9.1 Overview
> --------------
>
> Texinfo processing in scheme
> ............................
>
> This module parses texinfo into SXML. TeX will always be the processor
> of choice for print output, of course. However, although `makeinfo'
> works well for info, its output in other formats is not very
> customizable, and the program is not extensible as a whole. This module
> aims to provide an extensible framework for texinfo processing that
> integrates texinfo into the constellation of SXML processing tools.
>
>
> so that would seem a somewhat interesting starting point.

Great! I didn't know of it.  When LilyPond switches to Guile v2, it
could also help replacing old half-broken scripts for snippets
maintenance in translation.  I'm impatient of finishing writing my
thesis for having time to look into these guile modules for Texinfo
processing (there are also modules for formatting into HTML, going from
stexi Texinfo format in SXML back to Texinfo...).

John



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

John Mandereau
Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 12.29 +0100, John Mandereau ha scritto:
> Great! I didn't know of it.  When LilyPond switches to Guile v2,

This is actually already in Guile 1.8, sorry for the confusion.

John



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

David Kastrup
John Mandereau <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 12.29 +0100, John Mandereau ha scritto:
>> Great! I didn't know of it.  When LilyPond switches to Guile v2,
>
> This is actually already in Guile 1.8, sorry for the confusion.

That would have been me causing the confusion, I guess.  However, I
can't find anything pointing to Texinfo read support in the Guile 1.8
manuals.

--
David Kastrup


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

David Kastrup
David Kastrup <[hidden email]> writes:

> John Mandereau <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 12.29 +0100, John Mandereau ha scritto:
>>> Great! I didn't know of it.  When LilyPond switches to Guile v2,
>>
>> This is actually already in Guile 1.8, sorry for the confusion.
>
> That would have been me causing the confusion, I guess.  However, I
> can't find anything pointing to Texinfo read support in the Guile 1.8
> manuals.

dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ guile
GNU Guile 2.0.5-deb+1-3
Copyright (C) 1995-2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (texinfo))
scheme@(guile-user)> texi-
texi-command-depth    texi-fragment->stexi  
texi-command-specs    texi->stexi          
scheme@(guile-user)>
dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ guile-1.8
guile> (use-modules (texinfo))

Backtrace:
In current input:
   1: 0* (use-modules (texinfo))
   1: 1  (eval-case (# # *unspecified*) (else #))
   1: 2  (begin (process-use-modules (list (list #))) *unspecified*)
   ?: 3* [process-use-modules (((texinfo)))]

<unnamed port>: In procedure process-use-modules in expression (process-use-modules (list #)):
<unnamed port>: no code for module (texinfo)
ABORT: (misc-error)
guile> dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$

Uh, how did you deduce that this is supported with Guile-1.8?

--
David Kastrup


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

John Mandereau
Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 13.20 +0100, David Kastrup ha scritto:

> David Kastrup <[hidden email]> writes:
> > That would have been me causing the confusion, I guess.  However, I
> > can't find anything pointing to Texinfo read support in the Guile 1.8
> > manuals.
>
> dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ guile-1.8
> guile> (use-modules (texinfo))
>
> Backtrace:
> In current input:
>    1: 0* (use-modules (texinfo))
>    1: 1  (eval-case (# # *unspecified*) (else #))
>    1: 2  (begin (process-use-modules (list (list #))) *unspecified*)
>    ?: 3* [process-use-modules (((texinfo)))]
>
> <unnamed port>: In procedure process-use-modules in expression (process-use-modules (list #)):
> <unnamed port>: no code for module (texinfo)
> ABORT: (misc-error)
> guile> dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$
>
> Uh, how did you deduce that this is supported with Guile-1.8?

Which revision number of Guile 1.8 do you have?  On my Fedora 17
installation with Guile 1.8.8, the module texinfo is both loadable from
Guile prompt and documented in Guile Library manual in Info (which says
"This manual is for Guile Library (version 0.1.5, updated 24 September
2007)").

John





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [patch] create-weblink-itexi.py and warnings about missing translations (it and cs)

David Kastrup
John Mandereau <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il giorno mer, 12/12/2012 alle 13.20 +0100, David Kastrup ha scritto:
>> David Kastrup <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > That would have been me causing the confusion, I guess.  However, I
>> > can't find anything pointing to Texinfo read support in the Guile 1.8
>> > manuals.
>>
>> dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ guile-1.8
>> guile> (use-modules (texinfo))
>>
>> Backtrace:
>> In current input:
>>    1: 0* (use-modules (texinfo))
>>    1: 1  (eval-case (# # *unspecified*) (else #))
>>    1: 2  (begin (process-use-modules (list (list #))) *unspecified*)
>>    ?: 3* [process-use-modules (((texinfo)))]
>>
>> <unnamed port>: In procedure process-use-modules in expression
>> (process-use-modules (list #)):
>> <unnamed port>: no code for module (texinfo)
>> ABORT: (misc-error)
>> guile> dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$
>>
>> Uh, how did you deduce that this is supported with Guile-1.8?
>
> Which revision number of Guile 1.8 do you have?  On my Fedora 17
> installation with Guile 1.8.8, the module texinfo is both loadable from
> Guile prompt and documented in Guile Library manual in Info (which says
> "This manual is for Guile Library (version 0.1.5, updated 24 September
> 2007)").

Guile Library is not installed by default on Ubuntu 12.10 (one can
install it manually, though).  So it would likely complicate matters to
require it as a dependency.  It is, however, apparently distributed as
an integral part of Guile 2.0.

--
David Kastrup


Loading...