.po program file and context

Federico Bruni-2
Translating .po program file is quite difficult: strings are concise and
I often don't know which is the context.
My limited knowledge of LilyPond doesn't help.

For example:
identifier names: %s

What's an identifier in LilyPond?
Trying to rephrase it... (shame on me..):

"indentifier refers to: %s"
"identifier gives the name to: %s"

Does it make sense?

There are a lot of strings I can't really understand and this can affect
quality of translation so much.

What do you recommend me to do?
1) translate only what I'm sure about and update remaining strings when
I'll know more about LilyPond?
2) ask here about explanation each time I find.. say, 10 strings I'm not
sure about?

Re: .po program file and context

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno lun, 20/12/2010 alle 23.19 +0100, Federico Bruni ha scritto:
> What do you recommend me to do?
> 1) translate only what I'm sure about and update remaining strings
> when
> I'll know more about LilyPond?
> 2) ask here about explanation each time I find.. say, 10 strings I'm
> not
> sure about?

Well, there's a third way: checking other languages (like spanish) can
help understanding what in english seems ambiguous. Of course, I must
trust the translator.

identifier names: %s
nombres de identificador: %s

now it's evident that names is the plural of name :)

not a great solution, but the most practical

Re: .po program file and context

Francisco Vila
2010/12/20 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> Well, there's a third way: checking other languages (like spanish) can
> help understanding what in english seems ambiguous. Of course, I must
> trust the translator.
>
> identifier names: %s
> nombres de identificador: %s
>
> now it's evident that names is the plural of name :)

Haha, it's now evident for you only because it was previously evident
for me! But I had to do the same reasoning you'll have to do again
anyway.  I could have been wrong multiple times, so this is a repeated
trusting exercise for you.

Something one can do is to watch the program in action.  Whatever the
input, this gives you a subset of all possible message-needing
situations.  Be it in English or in a language, you can extract some
clues from there. I usually run lilypond in English by typing

LANG= lilypond file.ly

Re: .po program file and context

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 21/12/2010 08:06, Francisco Vila disait :

> 2010/12/20 Federico Bruni<[hidden email]>:
>> Well, there's a third way: checking other languages (like spanish) can
>> help understanding what in english seems ambiguous. Of course, I must
>> trust the translator.
>>
>> identifier names: %s
>> nombres de identificador: %s
>>
>> now it's evident that names is the plural of name :)
>
> Haha, it's now evident for you only because it was previously evident
> for me! But I had to do the same reasoning you'll have to do again
> anyway.  I could have been wrong multiple times, so this is a repeated
> trusting exercise for you.
>
> Something one can do is to watch the program in action.  Whatever the
> input, this gives you a subset of all possible message-needing
> situations.  Be it in English or in a language, you can extract some
> clues from there. I usually run lilypond in English by typing
>
> LANG= lilypond file.ly

Having a look at the file where the message comes from has often helped
me to understand the context. I might have checked with other languages
as well when it was really obscure. Don't hesitate to ask...