program .po file: need explanation on some strings

program .po file: need explanation on some strings

I've almost finished translating the program .po file.
Before sending it to the TP italian team for review, I need your help to
understand some strings.

"bump version for release"

"Use grob closures iso. XY-offset-callbacks."
(iso? as in...?)

"edit in place"

"quantise note starts on DUR"
(note starts?)

"unexpected case fall-through"

"Free type error: %s"
(why free? it's FreeType maybe?)

"flag stroke `%s' not found"

"ascending vaticana style flexa"

"cannot extract file matching ~a from ~a"

Re: program .po file: need explanation on some strings

Francisco Vila
2011/1/26 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I've almost finished translating the program .po file.
> Before sending it to the TP italian team for review, I need your help to
> understand some strings.
>
> "bump version for release"

raise by one, increase, add one to the version number for release a
version with the new number.

> "Use grob closures iso. XY-offset-callbacks."
> (iso? as in...?)

No idea. I kept it almost untranslated.

> "edit in place"

modify the file and leave the result in the same file, i.e. do not
create a new file with the output.

> "quantise note starts on DUR"
> (note starts?)

the time which a note begins at.  Beginnings of notes. "starts" as a
plural of "start", a noun.

> "unexpected case fall-through"

I understand here that a fall-through is the default match in a case
structure, which is taken if no other option does match.  Maybe it was
not expected that the compare did always fail, and at lease one of the
options were taken, but in fact they failed.

> "Free type error: %s"
> (why free? it's FreeType maybe?)

I think yes, it's for an error in FreeType.

> "flag stroke `%s' not found"

flag is probably the hook of an eight note, the double hook of a
sixteenth note, etc.  The stroke looks postscript terminology, it
could refer to the glyph or the shape of the flag.  Not all of them do
exist.

> "ascending vaticana style flexa"

a flexa in the style of the vaticana edition, which is ascending.

> "cannot extract file matching ~a from ~a"

(a guess:) looking for a filename that should match a given string,
such a match did not occur.

Other subscriptors of the list, please give us your opinion!

Re: program .po file: need explanation on some strings

John Mandereau
Hi guys,
Il giorno mer, 26/01/2011 alle 16.26 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> 2011/1/26 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> > "Use grob closures iso. XY-offset-callbacks."
> > (iso? as in...?)
>
> No idea. I kept it almost untranslated.

In this case "iso." stands for "instead of".

> > "Free type error: %s"
> > (why free? it's FreeType maybe?)
>
> I think yes, it's for an error in FreeType.

If so, the message in English should be fixed, shouldn't it?

2011/1/26 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
> Il giorno mer, 26/01/2011 alle 16.26 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
>> 2011/1/26 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
>> > "Use grob closures iso. XY-offset-callbacks."
>> > (iso? as in...?)
>>
>> No idea. I kept it almost untranslated.
>
> In this case "iso." stands for "instead of".
>

>> > "Free type error: %s"
>> > (why free? it's FreeType maybe?)
>>
>> I think yes, it's for an error in FreeType.
>
> If so, the message in English should be fixed, shouldn't it?

Yes. Thanks!

Re: program .po file: need explanation on some strings

> "ascending vaticana style flexa"
>
> a flexa in the style of the vaticana edition, which is ascending.

that's the only string I've not translated yet.
What is a flexa? Can you give me some pointer?

I've reviewed the whole file and I have a final question:

"new \textscript markup text"

I use to look at spanish and french translations when I'm not sure.
But 'markup text' has been translated in different ways:

nouvelle étiquette de texte \textscript
nuevo texto de marcado \textscript

Also, later on I often find 'text markup'.
But.. what is 'markup text'?

'night,

2011/1/28 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks,
>
>> "ascending vaticana style flexa"
>>
>> a flexa in the style of the vaticana edition, which is ascending.
>
> that's the only string I've not translated yet.
> What is a flexa? Can you give me some pointer?

A Gregorian two-note neuma.  Also called Clivis.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Neumae-ed_vaticana.jpg/500px-Neumae-ed_vaticana.jpg

2011/1/28 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/1/28 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks,
>>
>>> "ascending vaticana style flexa"
>>>
>>> a flexa in the style of the vaticana edition, which is ascending.
>>
>> that's the only string I've not translated yet.
>> What is a flexa? Can you give me some pointer?
>
> A Gregorian two-note neuma.  Also called Clivis.

I meant: also _known as_ Clivis.

> I've reviewed the whole file and I have a final question:
>
> "new \textscript markup text"

The main noun is "text", "markup" is a modifier of it, "\textscript"
is a kind or a class or a mean to create a markup text.

> I use to look at spanish and french translations when I'm not sure.
> But 'markup text' has been translated in different ways:
>
> nouvelle étiquette de texte \textscript

IMO this is for "\textscript text markup", but I am not the French translator.

> nuevo texto de marcado \textscript

Here I put text as the main noun trying to honour the original.

> Also, later on I often find 'text markup'.

The main noun would be "markup".

> But.. what is 'markup text'?

It would refer to the text itself, inside a markup, of working as a markup.

For me, most of the work on translating is to reorder main nouns and
modifier/genitive/belonging/whatever nouns and adjectives to the right
Spanish (and italiano) order.  I try to detect the main one and apply
the rest accordingly.

At the same time, 'honouring the original' at any cost is not always
the best thing to do.  We, as our own language lovers, should always
write the best possible form of the original in our language, try to
guess what the original tries to say.  Think of a famous Italian
writer and imagine how would he write the phrase in Italian, as if he
invented it from scratch.

Just thinking aloud...