recommendations for spell checking

Federico Bruni-2
Once in a while I happened to spot some typos in the italian documentation.
I'd like to perform a general spell checking and I wonder what you recommend using. I need a spell checker which is smart enough to ignore texinfo (or html, depending on where to launch the check) and english text.

Any hint?

Thanks

Re: recommendations for spell checking

Francisco Vila

2013/12/8 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
Once in a while I happened to spot some typos in the italian documentation.
I'd like to perform a general spell checking and I wonder what you recommend using. I need a spell checker which is smart enough to ignore texinfo (or html, depending on where to launch the check) and english text.

Any hint?

I use M-x ispell-buffer on emacs and it is a pain because it does not ignore texinfo and English.

Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?

Re: recommendations for spell checking

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
> Message du 10/12/13 16:56

> De : "Francisco Vila"
> A : "Federico Bruni"
> Copie à : "Translations list at lilynet"
> Objet : Re: [translations] recommendations for spell checking
>

>> 2013/12/8 Federico Bruni
>>
>>  Once in a while I happened to spot some typos in the italian documentation.
>> I'd like to perform a general spell checking and I wonder what you recommend using.
>> I need a spell checker which is smart enough to ignore texinfo (or html, depending
>> on where to launch the check) and english text.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>

> I use M-x ispell-buffer on emacs and it is a pain because it does not ignore texinfo and English.

From memory (not at home…):
I use tools/spellcheck/check_region after having selected a paragraph.

> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?

You can "add" some terms to your personal dictionary, or toggle them for the session, IIRC.

2013/12/11 Lilyfan <[hidden email]>
> Message du 10/12/13 16:56

> De : "Francisco Vila"
> A : "Federico Bruni"
> Copie à : "Translations list at lilynet"
> Objet : Re: [translations] recommendations for spell checking
>

>> 2013/12/8 Federico Bruni
>>
>>  Once in a while I happened to spot some typos in the italian documentation.
>> I'd like to perform a general spell checking and I wonder what you recommend using.
>> I need a spell checker which is smart enough to ignore texinfo (or html, depending
>> on where to launch the check) and english text.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>

> I use M-x ispell-buffer on emacs and it is a pain because it does not ignore texinfo and English.

on the command line you can ignore texinfo:
aspell --mode=texinfo check file.itely

You should be able to set the mode in emacs, I think.
It works well

From memory (not at home…):
I use tools/spellcheck/check_region after having selected a paragraph.

> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?

You can "add" some terms to your personal dictionary, or toggle them for the session, IIRC.

add all the english terms one by one? oh no
Why can't I just say "ignore english" or "ignore any language other than LANG"

Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?

Thinking twice, I think it's not possible. By default aspell parses any word of two characters at least. I think that's the only limit we can set.

If we used gettext and po files, spell checking would be easy. Not just spell checking...

Re: recommendations for spell checking

David Kastrup
Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?
>
> Thinking twice, I think it's not possible. By default aspell parses any
> word of two characters at least. I think that's the only limit we can
> set.

aspell has the --extradicts parameter.  "ignoring" English is the same
as accepting English.

--
David Kastrup

2013/12/12 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?
>
> Thinking twice, I think it's not possible. By default aspell parses any
> word of two characters at least. I think that's the only limit we can
> set.

aspell has the --extradicts parameter.  "ignoring" English is the same
as accepting English.

And what about ignoring lilypond code? It is also very cumbersome.

2013/12/12 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>
2013/12/12 David Kastrup <[hidden email]>
Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> Do you think it would be possible to ignore English at all?
>
> Thinking twice, I think it's not possible. By default aspell parses any
> word of two characters at least. I think that's the only limit we can
> set.

aspell has the --extradicts parameter.  "ignoring" English is the same
as accepting English.

And what about ignoring lilypond code? It is also very cumbersome.

We may add the lilypond syntax to the personal dictionary? Not tested...

--extra-dicts doesn't seem to work as supposed by David.
I'm afraid that you can't check two different languages at the same time and extra-dicts refer to different dictionaries _within the same language_ (e.g.: en_GB, en_CA, en_US):

I tried this command:

$ aspell --mode=texinfo --master=it --extra-dicts=en check common-notation.itely
Errore: Expected language "it" but got "en".

2013/12/13 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

And what about ignoring lilypond code? It is also very cumbersome.

We may add the lilypond syntax to the personal dictionary? Not tested...

--extra-dicts doesn't seem to work as supposed by David.
I'm afraid that you can't check two different languages at the same time and extra-dicts refer to different dictionaries _within the same language_ (e.g.: en_GB, en_CA, en_US):

I tried this command:

$ aspell --mode=texinfo --master=it --extra-dicts=en check common-notation.itely
Errore: Expected language "it" but got "en".

What I do is repeatedly "skip for this session" a word at a time when it goes into lilypond code blocks, and for large files only newest keywords in each section are highlighted. Eye strain guaranteed.

2013/12/13 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>
2013/12/13 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

And what about ignoring lilypond code? It is also very cumbersome.

We may add the lilypond syntax to the personal dictionary? Not tested...

--extra-dicts doesn't seem to work as supposed by David.
I'm afraid that you can't check two different languages at the same time and extra-dicts refer to different dictionaries _within the same language_ (e.g.: en_GB, en_CA, en_US):

I tried this command:

$ aspell --mode=texinfo --master=it --extra-dicts=en check common-notation.itely
Errore: Expected language "it" but got "en".

What I do is repeatedly "skip for this session" a word at a time when it goes into lilypond code blocks, and for large files only newest keywords in each section are highlighted. Eye strain guaranteed.

Ok, so you use "a".
That's handy, but still I don't understand why in Emacs aspell is not set in texinfo mode automatically (or how to set it manually).

2013/12/15 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
2013/12/13 Francisco Vila <[hidden email]>
2013/12/13 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>

> Il 10/dic/2013 16:56 "Francisco Vila" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

And what about ignoring lilypond code? It is also very cumbersome.

We may add the lilypond syntax to the personal dictionary? Not tested...

--extra-dicts doesn't seem to work as supposed by David.
I'm afraid that you can't check two different languages at the same time and extra-dicts refer to different dictionaries _within the same language_ (e.g.: en_GB, en_CA, en_US):

I tried this command:

$ aspell --mode=texinfo --master=it --extra-dicts=en check common-notation.itely
Errore: Expected language "it" but got "en".

What I do is repeatedly "skip for this session" a word at a time when it goes into lilypond code blocks, and for large files only newest keywords in each section are highlighted. Eye strain guaranteed.

Ok, so you use "a".
That's handy, but still I don't understand why in Emacs aspell is not set in texinfo mode automatically (or how to set it manually).

I meant "A".
I see that this command adds a comment to the file:
@c LocalWords yourWord

"git grep LocalWords" shows some of these comments in the french manuals.

Actually I prefer using 'i' and add the words to the personal dicitonary, so I won't have to ignore them again in future sessions.
I may share a .aspell-lilypond-doc.pws file if anyone is interested.

Re: recommendations for spell checking

Jean-Charles MALAHIEUDE
Le 15/12/2013 13:20, Federico Bruni disait :

> 2013/12/15 Federico Bruni
>
>> Ok, so you use "a".
>> That's handy, but still I don't understand why in Emacs aspell is not set
>> in texinfo mode automatically (or how to set it manually).
>>

> I meant "A".
> I see that this command adds a comment to the file:
> @c LocalWords yourWord
>
> "git grep LocalWords" shows some of these comments in the french manuals.
>
> Actually I prefer using 'i' and add the words to the personal dicitonary,
> so I won't have to ignore them again in future sessions.
> I may share a .aspell-lilypond-doc.pws file if anyone is interested.

It's a mistyping… I've removed those @c LocalWords.

I'll investigate further what can be done with a ~/.aspell.conf file and
a filter/extra-dict for lily. Until now, I've not been able to correctly
use the texinfo filter (it unfortunately checks what is inside the
ignore environment). And what comes after a "@c KEEPLY"
should be checked.