translation of xx.po files

Federico Bruni
Hi all,

I'm translating the .po file for italian.
(@John: this is the last file and then I'll send you the patch)

It's not that easy, as I don't really know the context of each
message.. if the message is directed to the user, or it's just
describing what's happening, or something else.

I mean, sometimes is clear and sometimes not.
In english there's no many differences in the use of tenses, so it can
be ambiguous.
I've tried to get some help from other .po files (especially the
spanish one), but still I'm not sure about many translations.

I pick some examples:

#: abc2ly.py:1358
msgid "be strict about success"
msgstr ""

#: abc2ly.py:1360
msgid "preserve ABC's notion of beams"
msgstr ""

Of course, the first message is directed to the user (right?), so I
know which tense I should use.
The second may be a description of what abc2ly is doing. So I would
use a present tense 3rd person. If it was a message to the user, I
would use either an infinitive or an imperative 2nd person.

Do you have any advice about the general issue?
(if the answer is "you must know well each application", then I guess
I'll make a rough translation and then correct it as soon as I get a
better understanding of each message)

Thanks for your help!

Federico Bruni  |  http://www.gnurag.net/blog/

LibrePlanet Italia
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/LibrePlanetItalia

Re: translation of xx.po files

Francisco Vila
2009/11/3 Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>:

> I pick some examples:
>
> #: abc2ly.py:1358
> msgid "be strict about success"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: abc2ly.py:1360
> msgid "preserve ABC's notion of beams"
> msgstr ""
>
> Of course, the first message is directed to the user (right?), so I know
> which tense I should use.
> The second may be a description of what abc2ly is doing. So I would use a
> present tense 3rd person. If it was a message to the user, I would use
> either an infinitive or an imperative 2nd person.

Both are infinitive, they refer to options that modify the program behavior.

The #-string gives you a clue on where the string is being used.
You'll find them (translated or not) in the output of abc2ly --help.
Compare them with the output of

LANG= abc2ly --help

> Do you have any advice about the general issue?
> (if the answer is "you must know well each application", then I guess I'll
> make a rough translation and then correct it as soon as I get a better
> understanding of each message)

You are right. It is often difficult to guess, that's why I try to
compile the program and docs, try to find where every translated
string goes, and check that everything is coherent.  Just using the
program and reading the manuals you'll find potential mistakes.

www.paconet.org
www.csmbadajoz.com

Le mardi 03 novembre 2009 à 12:11 +0100, Federico Bruni a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm translating the .po file for italian.
> (@John: this is the last file and then I'll send you the patch)

For the documentation, you should translate Documentation/po/it.po (copy
it from lilypond-doc.pot if it doesn't exist already).

Working on po/it.po is very good to, but please make sure the FSF has
got a disclaimer for translation work from you — I can't see you on
http://translationproject.org/team/it.html.  Then please send po/it.po
to the Translation Project robot, so I can commit it to Git.  No, this
is not a joke; I'm sorry this is so complicated, but managing the
translation of program messages through the Translation Project has been
decided before I got involved into LilyPond, and I also find that it has
some advantages, e.g. making contributions from translators already
working on other free software project easier.

To sum up, the translation of po/it.po is totally independent from the
translation of the documentation.

Best,

2009/11/4 John Mandereau <[hidden email]>:
> To sum up, the translation of po/it.po is totally independent from the
> translation of the documentation.

Of course. I forgot it on my previous message.
www.paconet.org
www.csmbadajoz.com

John Mandereau wrote:

> To sum up, the translation of po/it.po is totally independent from the
> translation of the documentation.

I see.. so the .po file can come (a bit) later. First of all, I'll try
to commit the patch.

And I have some issues here.
First of all, I've realized the files I have translated are a bit out
of date, because.. eehhmm.. I've never updated my git files since june :-)

This is not a big problem.. I can track the changes manually with
diff. I've checked a couple of files and I can see that the edits are few.

I have another problem.
I have created a new directory where I've downloaded the last version
of documentation (I can see a lot of reorganizing..). I prefer to work
from scratch in the new one instead of using my previous out of date
git directory, which is a mess now.

I have a problem with this command:
fede@debian:~/lilypond-translation$ make ISOLANG=it new-lang
make: *** No rule to make target `new-lang'.  Stop.

I've tried also ita and IT, but I get the same error message.
How can I fix it?

What if I just create the dirs by myself: Documentation/it and
Documentation/it/learning ?
And then copy the files I've translated?

I'm sorry for my frequent answers. Be patient, I'll learn soon or
later ;-)
Thanks for your help!

Federico Bruni  |  http://www.gnurag.net/blog/

LibrePlanet Italia
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/LibrePlanetItalia

Re: translation of xx.po files

John Mandereau
Le mercredi 04 novembre 2009 à 16:18 +0100, Federico Bruni a écrit :
> And I have some issues here.
> First of all, I've realized the files I have translated are a bit out
> of date, because.. eehhmm.. I've never updated my git files since june :-)

This is normal, as you don't want to update sources of English docs
while you have translated half of a file :-)

> This is not a big problem.. I can track the changes manually with
> diff. I've checked a couple of files and I can see that the edits are few.

Look for check-translation in the Contributor's guide, it will do this
job for you as long as you have put the right committish in each file.

> I have another problem.
> I have created a new directory where I've downloaded the last version
> of documentation (I can see a lot of reorganizing..). I prefer to work
> from scratch in the new one instead of using my previous out of date
> git directory, which is a mess now.

This is a sensible way of managing this; would you like to build the
documentation with new sources?  If so, you may need to use a script to
automatically translate node names in files using
Documentation/po/it.po, I'll tell you about this if you wish.

> I have a problem with this command:
> fede@debian:~/lilypond-translation$ make ISOLANG=it new-lang
> make: *** No rule to make target `new-lang'.  Stop.
>
> I've tried also ita and IT, but I get the same error message.
> How can I fix it?

cd Documentation  # this target in only available in this directory

> What if I just create the dirs by myself: Documentation/it and
> Documentation/it/learning ?
> And then copy the files I've translated?

If you don't build the documentation, I'm fine with this; if it's easy
for you to build the documentation, please do, but then you'd better use
new-lang than trying to reproduce by hand what new-lang does :-)

Best,